Discuss Elecsa Assessment in the morning!! in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

byrnie_2004

:eek:
I've got my initial assessment in the morning, i've got all my insurance documents, qualification certs, regs/on site guide/gn3 together, i've got the cert for the job i'm going to show him, and the invoice incase he wants to see it. Also have my multifunction tester and calibration cert.
Just wondering what else i need - i'm a sole trader just set up, i've got Mr Wormald if that means anything to anyone?
Really nervous for some reason don't know what to expect, got a feeling i'm not going to sleep much tonight.​

hiya byrnie,

If its john wormold youve got theres no need to worry. Hes a very pleasent and helpfull chap. At the end of the day as long as you know your stuff he will help you through the assessment. At the end of the day they want you to pass.

Hope this helps

I'd imagine it's just as daunting for the assessors as it is for the applicant, as they also don't know who they are going to meet! I suspect they worry that they may not know as much ad the applicants!

I had John a few years ago. Nice knowledgable bloke. Like all Elecsa assessors he is just looking to make sure you can convince him you can work safely, and that you are competent. They have no wish to catch you out, he will give you all the help he can, and his advice will be good.

If you can prove to him the above qualities, and have all the neccessary bits and bobs to hand you will have no problems at all. They are all Electricians themselves, so they know the score and what we are up against. You will get picked up on minor mistakes, but we all make them, just make sure you dont do anything blatantly stupid or dangerous. If my memory serves me i think John was big on testing, so he will probably ask you a few questions, if you dont know say so, dont try to blag it, but tell him you will look in the OSG and find out etc.

Good luck, and relax,

Cheers..............Howard

Electricity at Wok Regs. Proving unit and voltage tester?

Good luck, I'm sure it will be fine and enjoy it

Cheers Guys i hope everything goes well, i've got everything i can think of, as long as i dont do anything dangerous i think i'll be fine, got plenty of biscuits haha.;)

No requirement yet for Approved voltage indicator or proving unit with Elecsa. I have both, and could not function without them though.

Cheers..........Howard

Crikey! I only have experience of NAPIT and NICEIC and both wanted to see my equipment (ooh er). I'm surprised Elecsa don't require these, I thought it was just standard issue - how do you prove the installation etc is dead and comply to GS38?

No more than 4mm exposed tips on your probes and if you need to take them off to insert into a test plug, remember to put them back on.
No need for a proving unit, use the incoming phase in the cu.

Good luck.

Good luck with the assessment - I'm sure it will be fine! I've had two Elecsa assessors in the last few years and both have been helpful - more an approach to identify things that need to be improved to help you get better than to trip you up, so I'd agree with the comment to say when you're not sure and be prepared to look it up! As long as there's nothing hideously dangerous of course...!

The only test equipment Elecsa have ever asked me for is my Megger mft, and I've always used the voltage measurement function of that to check circuits are switched off. At the risk of opening a can of worms... what more does a voltage indicator do? I'm here to learn!

I done my initial assessment 2 weeks ago with elecsa and easier and more enjoyable than i expected,tea,biccies,plenty of off topic unformal chat,get some sleep and dont worry yourself,do you have approved document part p,complaints form,h&s policy(not needed for sole trader but they want to see it anyway),and risk assessment form,some you can download from the HSE website and some are in sticky threads on this forum,good luck and sure you will be back here tommorrow,think of the free van stickers,mouse mat,pen,and other goodies they send you in the welcome pack.

The only test equipment Elecsa have ever asked me for is my Megger mft, and I've always used the voltage measurement function of that to check circuits are switched off. At the risk of opening a can of worms... what more does a voltage indicator do? I'm here to learn!

Perhaps you should read the other thread currently running on the forum about Safe Isolation - http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...lectrical-forum/35898-danger-multimeters.html Hope the fuse never blows in your MFT!

Page 10 of the ECA guidance on GN38 states:
'The procedure for proving dead should be by use of a proprietory test lamp or two pole voltage detector as recomnended in HSE Guidance Note GS38, Electrcial test equipment for use by electricians. Non contact voltage indicators (voltage sticks) and multimeters should not be used.

The test instrument should be proved to be working on a known live source or propierty proving unit before and after use. All conductors of the circuit, including the neutral, should be tested and proved dead.

Electricians who regulalry work on installations that have been energised should be equiped with devices for proving that the conductors are dead'.

So we are actually told not to use an MFT in GN38. And given the last paragraph quoted I'm surprised that Elecsa don't insist on electricians having the equipment. Does anyone know what the Elecsa stance is on proving a circuit dead?

I think that a proving unit and leads for around a £100 is good value when compared to my life, particularly when there is a story on the forum about a fuse being blown in an MFT.

I think that a proving unit and leads for around a £100 is good value

The procedure for proving dead should be by use of a proprietory test lamp

Propietry definition - owned by an individual

lamp holder about a £1
Lamp £1

Total £2 :cool::D

Reply to Elecsa Assessment in the morning!! in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net