ELECSA Certification Scheme Elecsa Assessment

Discuss Elecsa Assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bigd

Gulp! Put in for my first Elecsa assessment today!

The only decent job I have is a full-rewire of a house. TT system! But hopefully this should be good enough.

Other than the usual Ze,RCD,Building regs that normally come up during the assessment are there any other questions that seem to be popping up recently?

I like to think I've done a good job, but I'm still bricking it!

Dave

Dave dont panic mate you'll be fine just make sure you have the regs on site guide and all the nessesary paper work , one question i am asked almost every time is where the holes should be cut in joists , Zs readings and Ze reading for the various earthing systems , just make sure the coffee is flowing an buiscuits too and relax you be fine

Holes in joist? I usually notch about 3 inches out the top of each joist

sizes of holes and notches are set out in the electricians guide to building regs FIG 10.1.1 joist and stud notch and drill limits , holes in the center of the joist is better than a notch on the top so its more than 50 mm from either end less chance of a cable getting trapped under a floor board

Don't panic, if you have done a good install and have the books to hand you will be fine.

Last year I was asked how long we need to keep copies of installation certificates (3 years for Part P)
This year I was asked how far from beams to site down lights (manufacturer instructions)
I was also asked how to state the Ring final testing, which I know but paniced about, and he stopped half way through and said that's OK I don't need to hear any more.
Can't remember the rest, building regs was high on the agenda and max EFLI values.

sizes of holes and notches are set out in the electricians guide to building regs FIG 10.1.1 joist and stud notch and drill limits , holes in the center of the joist is better than a notch on the top so its more than 50 mm from either end less chance of a cable getting trapped under a floor board
its more to do with cables not getting nailed nick......thing is, generally floorboards nails and cut cleats are 50mm in length so by setting the cables a minimum of 50 mm below the surface of the joist that gives...say 25mm thick of floorboard and 25mm into the joist for the right sized nails to use.....so gives 25mm clearance between the sharp end of the nail/cleat and the cable/s......

Did my yearly Elecsa assessment recently and no probs except that I didn't have the latest green copy of 7671 & OSG to hand

Make sure you go through the document/publications list they sent to you beforehand, to check you've got everything in order!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't know the answer to a question say so and don't bluff but you need to be able to say where to look it up. They do check the calibration log for your tester and like to see the original calibration certs. It is all in the guidelines they send out. I get the impression they are out to pass you but need to make sure you are not dangerous. They have the option of passing you subject to you sending them proof that you have corrected something that was wrong so minor problems are not a big issue. My last assessment was with a different assessor and it was more like a a chat with another electrician rather than a question and answer session, but we did cover a lot of different topics.
Good luck.

deffo lighting and part L,a building regs, the percentage of low energy in new builds....

bathroom zones...

stay calm and carry on...

I joined Elecsa in December, the assessor i had was a guy called Tim Bollard. He was a really nice bloke, the assessors aren't there to catch you out or trip you up on anything, they WANT you to pass! just be confident in your work and if you don't no the answer to any questions just look in one of your books! As electricians we can't be expected to remember EVERYTHING in our heads!
Good Luck buddy!

Thanks for the advice guys.

Have an assessment booked for the 10/04 with Trevor Preston. Hoping to get an earlier cancellation (get it over and done with sooner rather than later!)

I'll let you know in due course,

Dave

on another note...just looked at that report from C&G on decembers 2391 candidates......i mean whats all that about candidates not knowing whats TN-S and TN-C-S all about?...and applying 0.8 correction factor for ambient tempreture to measured values of Zs?

good luck sure you will be ok

they are very friendly and just gently tease the necessary answers out of you and maybe ask you to show were to find it in the regs etc or elecys guide to building regs if you do whilst drinking coffee as long as all your paperwork in order and have the relevent books
PLI
certificates completed correctly
qualifications to show them
calibrated test equipment
they are very easy to get on with more like having a chat with a work mate or a boss you get along with lol

Well the day of the assessment came and as i was dropping the missus and kids so i had a empty house... my assessor turned up.. unknowing to me though as i was told on the phone my appointment was a 1.30pm. so as i sat at home preparing for him to arive the time came when i decided to phone elecsa to find out what was going on, to which they informed me that my appointment was at 9.30 and as i 'missed it' i will need to rebook and pay the £440 odd pound assessment fee!! but as i had no letter of conformation or email as they are stating i should have recieved i dont really know what to do. we will see on monday when i phone ay?

Reply to Elecsa Assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock