ELECSA Certification Scheme Elecsa Assessment

Discuss Elecsa Assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I pointed out the fact that according to the sheet, I should not do a job if it involves going into a loft off a 4 stage ladder. I then pointed out that I can quite safely pull myself into a loft without a ladder at all.
The assessor smiled and told me that not everyone can do that. RA is just a thought process really in the real world.

yeah mate and also can manage to get across the joists without boards even at 41 lol

Indeed....

Just to make you smile, my Dad recently moved house and needed a new sky dish (free of charge). When the installer arrived he asked my Dad to sign a piece of paper allowing said installer to drill into his wall to anchor his ladders.... What is amusing is that the guy only needed to stand on the 2nd rung of the ladder in order to fix the dish as it's a bungalow!!!
It took him 10 minutes to drill, plug and fix a hook in the wall, 5 minutes to fix the dish, then another 10 minutes to remove the hook, drill out the rawl plug and finally fill the hole he had made....

H&S gone mad.

Edit... Forgot to add, the ladders were resting on a flat, dry lawn. Also, my Dad offered to "foot" the ladders (he's a painter and decorator) while the installer climbed to the 2nd rung :)

I pointed out the fact that according to the sheet, I should not do a job if it involves going into a loft off a 4 stage ladder. I then pointed out that I can quite safely pull myself into a loft without a ladder at all.
The assessor smiled and told me that not everyone can do that. RA is just a thought process really in the real world.

Yup thats one of the things I changed on mine too.

Indeed....

Just to make you smile, my Dad recently moved house and needed a new sky dish (free of charge). When the installer arrived he asked my Dad to sign a piece of paper allowing said installer to drill into his wall to anchor his ladders.... What is amusing is that the guy only needed to stand on the 2nd rung of the ladder in order to fix the dish as it's a bungalow!!!
It took him 10 minutes to drill, plug and fix a hook in the wall, 5 minutes to fix the dish, then another 10 minutes to remove the hook, drill out the rawl plug and finally fill the hole he had made....

H&S gone mad.

Edit... Forgot to add, the ladders were resting on a flat, dry lawn. Also, my Dad offered to "foot" the ladders (he's a painter and decorator) while the installer climbed to the 2nd rung

Might twist an ankle from the second rung!

Unfortunately the poor Sky engineers can get sacked if they do not follow the rules. In turn Sky by having the rules and enforcing them stops enterprising engineers from claiming for fictitious injuries and prevents H&S from prosecuting them in the event of a proper accident. You only have to look at the hotel owners who were successfully prosecuted when their handyman helped by the gardener cut a branch off a tree while the ladder was leaning on the side he cut off. Common sense has gone out of the window.

But in terms of the ELECSA assessment if you have less then 5? employees then you do not need a formal H&S policy. However I have found the ELECSA H&S assessment very useful as a check list to make sure I have considered the risks that I am taking when doing a job. I have seen too many accidents, some serious, on simple jobs to be complacent. A friend was working from a ladder on the edge of a 7 ft high garage roof, his feet were no more than three feet off the ground, he fell and broke his hip. It was about 6 months before he could work again.

Having worked in industry for over 20 years before I went self-employed, I am no stranger to what complacency can do. I also appreciate that it is not the Sky engineers' fault and that they are "following orders".
I just find it very sad that we have become another state of the USA, bound by litigation and get-out clauses.

Indeed....

H&S gone mad.

Edit... Forgot to add, the ladders were resting on a flat, dry lawn. Also, my Dad offered to "foot" the ladders (he's a painter and decorator) while the installer climbed to the 2nd rung :)

Lol mate H&S is insane its no wonder half the larger jobs go over budget by so much

these people dont live in the real world they live in a world surrounded by soft white fluffy pillows were life is beautiful all the time

KFH, while stories of what can happen are sad and sometimes tragic, we can't live in cotton wool. I grew up in the 70's when we designed go-carts out of old prams and ended up in a heap before we realised we hadn't fitted brakes. It was a golden era of experimentation and risk-taking and many of today's innovations were born of that era. We have become sterile and frightened, surrounded by safety protocols and lawsuits.
I am a great believer in safety, but when someone gets in a dangerous guided missile (van), then has to anchor a ladder to a building to go up 2 rungs..... It makes me weep, it really does.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Have an assessment booked for the 10/04 with Trevor Preston. Hoping to get an earlier cancellation (get it over and done with sooner rather than later!)

I'll let you know in due course,

Dave

Trevors sound as a pound. I've had him three years running. Very easy going and generally prefers to chat about current affairs/the government than the job in hand. Just make sure you know where the main bonding is connected, he always asks to see this. Also he'll ask about RCD discon times and ze limits for various circuit types. Doesn't matter if you dont know all the answers.

KFH, while stories of what can happen are sad and sometimes tragic, we can't live in cotton wool. I grew up in the 70's when we designed go-carts out of old prams and ended up in a heap before we realised we hadn't fitted brakes. It was a golden era of experimentation and risk-taking and many of today's innovations were born of that era. We have become sterile and frightened, surrounded by safety protocols and lawsuits.
I am a great believer in safety, but when someone gets in a dangerous guided missile (van), then has to anchor a ladder to a building to go up 2 rungs..... It makes me weep, it really does.

I agree, we need a bit of common sense. But with adverts on the tele saying "I had an accident because they gave me the wrong type of ladder" etc companies have to take the danger of litigation seriously. As you said we are America's latest state. Unfortunately there are still a lot of people around without any common sense who will manage to have an accident whatever we do, it used to be seen as natural selection but that is probably politically incorrect these days.

As I get older (I am a couple of decades ahead of you) I value the few years I have left more than the decades I had when I was younger and have become more safety conscious, I have even been known to tidy up so I don't trip over the rubbish :smile:. I still do stupid things though, but carefully.

Hi Dave
Got my assessement with Elecsa in june going for a new consumer unit its the laest They will accept but all I can do at the present any suggestions
Cheers Gerry

Dave dont panic mate you'll be fine just make sure you have the regs on site guide and all the nessesary paper work , one question i am asked almost every time is where the holes should be cut in joists , Zs readings and Ze reading for the various earthing systems , just make sure the coffee is flowing an buiscuits too and relax you be fine

I had my NIC Initial assessment last week for approved contractor Scheme. I can back the above quote (I know its a different governing body but same principle) DONT worry take it easy they are not there to catch you out and if you dont know a question look in the book simple as that! Have everything set out in the office/Living room ready and await his arrival. I was ok the night before then started panicking! despite it being a general chat! when the guy came he was absolutely great and the whole experience was enjoyable and nice, he asked questions some of which i wasnt 100% and i looked in the books and answered the question. Nervs play a major part but it really was nothing to worry about. I read loads of horror storys on the net and it was the complete opposite. I would highly rate the inspector and cant say enough good things about him, i ended up actually enjoying the assessment and actually learnt one or 2 things. So dont panic you will do great :)

I had my NIC Initial assessment last week for approved contractor Scheme. I can back the above quote (I know its a different governing body but same principle) DONT worry take it easy they are not there to catch you out and if you dont know a question look in the book simple as that! Have everything set out in the office/Living room ready and await his arrival. I was ok the night before then started panicking! despite it being a general chat! when the guy came he was absolutely great and the whole experience was enjoyable and nice, he asked questions some of which i wasnt 100% and i looked in the books and answered the question. Nervs play a major part but it really was nothing to worry about. I read loads of horror storys on the net and it was the complete opposite. I would highly rate the inspector and cant say enough good things about him, i ended up actually enjoying the assessment and actually learnt one or 2 things. So dont panic you will do great :)

Senses...you also sound like you 'noshed him off' in the process with a arse licking comment like that :p

:lol:

Senses...you also sound like you 'noshed him off' in the process with a arse licking comment like that :p

:lol:

Reading this back i do haha. I was and am just so relieved it went well after the nervs and things i read on the net and storys off other sparks i know. Ended up being the complete opposite. Still have the assessment to contend with but i am slightly looking forward to it.

I still think that there should be an assessment fee of say, £200 to cover costs, then if we get accepted we pay the remainder for membership. Seems crazy to me that we have to pay the full amount on the assumption that we will pass the assessment.

I had to pay an initial fee for the Assessment and admin costs then if i get accepted then i pay the years subscription. If i dont pass then i need to pay for a days re test then pay the subscription. Happy days but its something we need :)

Reply to Elecsa Assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net