Discuss elecsa assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi,
I've had 3 now and as long as you know the regs back to front there's nothing to worry about, only joking. Make sure all your paperwork is in order, the easier you make it for them the better. He or she will then ask you some questions on building regs, if you dont know, use your on site guide or building regs guide ( you are allowed) followed by a few technical questions which they will guide you through then on to some testing. Its not as bad as you think, remember they want your money and want you to pass. Good luck

Thanks. Yeah I have some friends who have had Nic and nappit assessments and they were all told on the day that they are there to help rather than scrutinise. It's just a big thing and the start of the rest of my life!! So I just want it to go smoothly. Thanks for that. I think im ready. I keep going over and over the checklist...

had my first 1 with elecsa last saturday, i was the same really nervous not knowing what was going to be asked etc, it was alot easier than i thought he checked through all the paperwork first then quite a few questions all basic ones like difference between tn-c-s - tn-s -tt max ze obviously tt is ra
safe zones then he looked at my schedule of test results for the job i had done and got asked questions on that like are all my readings within the regs and can i find it in the bgb to show him the max zs for 32A type b all simple stuff nothing to try and catch you out, then went to the job did quite abit of testing but he was keen on safe isolation, then had me doing a ze, r1-r2-rn and questions on testing as i was doing them like what other tests would i have to do on that circuit then did some ir testing, zs testing on different circuits the rcd testing, then when i thought i was done started to ask questions on building regs height of sockets and switches on new builds, bathroom zones, smoke alarms, extractor fans etc, as you can see there was no questions to try and catch me out just all basic stuff so next year i won't even be bothered at all as now i know what to expect hope this helps you

Don't worry, it's will probably be the biggest anticlimax you've ever experienced in your whole life.

The assessor will pontificate and waffle on and on until he finally asks you a question like " there are 3 types of electrical fault, what are they?' this will throw you at first, as you try to pull yourself out of the stupor he's hypnotised you into, with his blah blah blah blandness and out of blind panic you may answer "short crust, earth fault and would you like another biscuit overlord". But dont worry, he will then take over the conversation and waffle on and on about something else before asking such searching questions like "what size earthing conductor should be used in a TNC-S system" or "what size bonding conductor blah blah blah" etc etc........you'll try to answer but dont worry he likes the sound of his own voice, so leave the room (mentally that is, dont actually walk out) and just nod at 5 second intervals.

Once he's checked you've spent the required amount of money on all the useless books and other crap, its onto the job. But lets face it, he wont find anything wrong will he (unless your a pillock) as you've spent god knows how much time and money making it perfect, and researching on forums like this, so it should be a "proper job". Anyway, even if it isn't he'll probably be easily fooled into missing the obvious mistake by quickly asking him a distracting question about something he likes eg, Part P, electricity, money, women's knickers/mens pants etc

Its then onto the testing (but dont forget he's running out of time and interest by now). So plug your tester into the socket and try to press the correct button.......
You cant fail, not unless your a buffoon, they want your money its that simple

Thanks everyone. I'm sure it will all go swimmingly. I know some people who have got onto a 'competent persons scheme' that are mildly put.... Clueless!! So I'm sure il be fine :)

If you know your stuff you will have no problems take your time when testing and check your safe isolation but should not have no problems.

know part p whats notifiable, what cert to give out minnor or eic, why fire rated downlights,spread of fire, bathrooms distances of electrical accesories,ip codes,joist cutting drilling rules,heights of accesories in new builds,energy efficiency percentage,etc.
then it's just your testing procedure and knowing what results you want and why and some regs knowledge.
sounds daughnting but don't wory elecsa are there to point you in the right direction and don't expect you to know everything down to last detail,only that you know what you are doing and are not a danger to the public or yourself also you have a grasp of what you are doing and trying to improve your knowledge

Reply to elecsa assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock