Discuss Elecsa being difficult! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

shard

I decided to register with a elecsa. Went through all the motions online, nice and easy. Then thought I'd call and double check before paying that I'd filled out everything ok. Lady I spoke to was helpful and friendly. So far so good. I told her I currently work for a firm and have done for five years and that they supplied my test instruments. I got them calibrated last week and the cert had the firms name on it. She put me through to another guy. Apparently I can't use this test kit that I've used for the last five years. When I asked why? I was told incase I have to share my meters with another sparky and they are not available to me. He then suggested my meters might get sent to Glasgow, I live in London, and that I would have to guess my results. :confused: I actually laughed out loud because I thought he was pulling my leg. To me it seemed crazy to suggest that I'd fake results or that I would share my test gear with another electrician. He then snapped at me and told me not to laugh at him and hung up the phone.:mad: I am deeply disappointed as I'd heard such good things about elecsa. I had pointed out that it was so I could do a few private jobs and that if I could pick up enough work maybe go solo. Obviously I explained I would buy a new set of meters if I did. This chap was insistent that I had to own them from the straight off.
I cannot see what difference it makes.

I'm not a member of a scheme but I believe you have to have full availability of your own MFT, 17th, OSG, guidance notes books etc. Maybe he's got a point but there was no need to talk to you like that, may be a bad day for him don't take it too personal. Why don't you ask your firm if you can buy the mft from them? Should get it cheap and its just been calibrated.

Have it re calibrated again, this time get your name on the certain, it means it will cost u 30 quid or so and that there will be 2 certs on it but it's gotta be cheaper than buying one

Alternatively just say it is your equipment but the firm you work at send everyones of to ensure its calibrated, they paid the bill hence their name on the ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:
if elesca are going to talk to you like that your better of goin with napit or niceic. i would continue giving money to a company that employs people like that.

as stated above just get a calibration certificate made out to your company/name until u get your own tester.

Last edited by a moderator:
As said, just get it recalibrated yourself. Wonder what would be said if its your assessment and you've just bought a new MFT which has been cailibrated at the factory.

Surely that wouldn't be in your name either?

"I cannot see what difference it makes."

If the Elecsa requires you to have your own equipment, calibrated and the certificate in your name, then that's what you need to do. All the rest of us have invested considerably to go it alone so why do you expect to be different.

As other replies have suggested, buy a MFT and get it calibrated.

I don't think that Elecsa are asking too much.

For the record I'm with Elecsa and rate then for being helpful!

Mmmmm some interesting replies. Some people have some very sensible advice and its much appreciated. I will treat myself to a new meter and have been looking at a megger mft1730. It just seems a shame not to use a kit I use everyday. As one of you chaps pointed out it is a great expense to go it alone, I had a business before but unfortunately got ripped off quite badly and had to get a job after losing my home, business and relationship. It's taken the last four years to pay off mine and my business partners debts on my own. It's been along haul and I can see a light at the end of the tunnel thanks to holding down two jobs. It would've been nice to keep costs down but hey ho. Van, insurance, meters, tools, partp blah blah blah! Yes it's just how it goes I suppose. Don't know who big Tony is don't really care maybe I was just a bit ruffled when the guy suggested that I'd make up my readings as I wouldn't have a meter. I'm sure a lot of sparkys would be insulted by that. After all I was just being honest with the guy. I did actually point out that the lady was very helpful and friendly. I am going to go with elecsa as nickblake said I'll give them a chance. Several mates of mine are with them and they all give them a big thumbs up. Maybe I should've put the thread title as "guy suggested I'd lie about my readings and I was insulted". As for one off posts I think I put a lot of thought into what I wrote. Tried to spell as best as possible and use punctuation. I don't want to come across as one liner who is just sniping at other guys! That would be bad mannered and very unwelcoming. Once again thanks to the blokes who put useful comments.

Try not to take it to heart fella, a lot of it was tongue in cheek, we all understand your frustrations and the big Tony comment was ment as a bit of fun, ie a senior niceic engineer in disguise trying to bad mouth the competition.

Your post was spot on and indeed well thought out unlike a lot we see and your effort shows.

Sorry you have got the wrong end of our sense of humour, and glad we could help!!

Stick around and carry on posting, I'm sure you will love the place.

Well all im going to add is keep an eye on ebay some meter do pop up on thier at a good price you can get some meters although basic for under £400.00 , just get your PLI as well and you can work when i s=tarted on my own i just had a car for the first few months then a small van and now a transit so it will work a bit of determination and you'll be fine Belive me Elecsa are a good buch of guys they dont try to catch you out and they are very helpfull , and as im sure the majority of guys on here will wish you the very best of luck
and never forget the guys on here will help with any questions the knowage here is incredible again the very best of luck

I'm watching some meters on flea bay but may just go for a new one as it needs to last. I own a insulation and loop meter but need a rcd. For the price difference I thought it would be better to go with a mft and keep the others as spare or sell towards the new meter fund. I've got my PI sorted but am waiting on edf to put a tns supply in my house I've just bought. I've rewired, plumbed plastered tiled etc etc. And am going to use this for my assessment. Think I'll be going to my jobs on a bicycle at this rate. Once I've got some work in I'll get my own van and hopefully break away from my firm. Then they can keep their tracker and meters. Happy days!

I'm with elecsa, i was told that i didnt need to have test equipment, it was OK to borrow, hire or whatever, as long as on the day it was calibrated, i had the certificate, and i knew how to use it. 2 years ago my MFT packed up a week or so before assessment, i borrowed my mates. the assessor saw the same MFT twice in a week. no problems.

Cheers.......Howard

Reply to Elecsa being difficult! in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net