Discuss ELECSA defines LANDLORD property as Commercial in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

JOliver

Can anyone clarify this. I have been informed that ELECSA defines Landlord (i.e. Rental property) as commercial property, & therefore not covered by their Part P scheme. Does anyone have any experience of this?

It seems strange that Domestic rented property is not covered by the ELECSA Part P scheme, as there is a lot of rented accommodation out there.

If this is the case, how do you incorporate the notification side (in terms of avoiding LABC charges, if you are not able to do so via ELECSA membership.

This is B****cks (Elecsa), see the definitions of what part Pee covers and doesn't cover from the APD part P , they decide what is covered, not Elecsa.

If their scheme is weaselling out of this part, then what is the point of being registered at all ?, it is already debateable what that point is now, see the on-going reviews, watering down et-al.

Part P covers 'Dwellings', see the actual document, i.e. Flats!
What an 'ELECSA Part P scheme' is, I've no idea!

I think you need to write to Elecsa, asking the question and await a written response. To me a house is a house, a factory is a factory and a shop is a shop!

Sounds like ELECSA, is going down the same path as NICEIC, convincing themselves that they are some sort of authority on all things electrical and can make up their own rules to suit themselves!!

Well we all know (or should know) that ain't the case at all.

Sounds like ELECSA, is going down the same path as NICEIC, convincing themselves that they are some sort of authority on all things electrical and can make up their own rules to suit themselves!!

Well we all know (or should know) that ain't the case at all.

They are in bed together - what do you expect!

I think you need to write to Elecsa, asking the question and await a written response. To me a house is a house, a factory is a factory and a shop is a shop!

What would you say, does a Hotel, Motel, Inn, Lodge come under?? Does part Pee cover these dwelling anomalies??

I by the way don't know, ....i was just thinking/wondering if part pee covered these commercial enterprises??

What would you say, does a Hotel, Motel, Inn, Lodge come under?? Does part Pee cover these dwelling anomalies??

I by the way don't know, ....i was just thinking/wondering if part pee covered these commercial enterprises??

Part P covers domestic dwellings, whether owned or rented IMHO

If anyone in a rented property pays domestic council tax it must come under part p, however if someone pays non domestic council tax (business rates) does that not come under commercial, just a thought.

For what it's worth I'd say hotels etc would be classed as commercial,as different planning rules apply.Incidentally if Elecsa are setting themselves up as some kind of control body by deciding what is covered by part p etc I wonder if they're going to start dealing with planning applications? lol,might be useful if your local council turns you down for that extension you wanted to build.

Part P did also apply to commercial if it was from the same supply as a dwelling.

For example shop under dwelling.

Has it changed?

I was registered with Elecsa and i've done loads of jobs in domestic rental properties most of it notifable. Invoices and certs always with landlords name and address , different to address to where work was done and notified as so with nothing said is this a new thing ?

I might ring them later for clarification. If this is the case then I expect I may be cancelling.

I would appreciate if you would let me know what they say. I also sent them an email requesting written confirmation. That was yesterday afternoon, & I have not received any reply.

I do not like ambiguity in areas like this, & in relation to Part P, it is quite clear that it relates to Domestic property, whether rented or not. If there is a dissection of responsibility in this area, it should be provided in written form, & to everybody.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would appreciate if you would let me know what they say. I also sent them an email requesting written confirmation. That was yesterday afternoon, & I have not received any reply.

I do not like ambiguity in areas like this, & in relation to Part P, it is quite clear that it relates to Domestic property, whether rented or not. If there is a dissection of responsibility in this area, it should be provided in written form, & to everybody.

There is no ambiguity, ELECSA have it ''WRONG'' a rental property does and will come under Part Pee regulations, no matter what ELECSA say's or doesn't say!! It has sod all to do with them, and should know better!!

These organisations including local Governments, are now doing the money racket. For rented HMO, you need to pay for a licence, the council tax is higher per property, the landlord must have PL insurance, can only be mortgage with higher rate commercial loan......So now they class it as a commercial dwelling, and with it must go gas & electrical certs........total money making racket....the be all and end all is a house is a house, just because 5 people live the dos not change that fact, so why Part P cert can`t be use, is just to charge more money

Just out of interest why does the misguided Part P/Pee/Poo (whatever it is - I don't have any dealings with it) consider that domestic installations are higher risk than commercial and industrial installations for example?

Doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

Reply to ELECSA defines LANDLORD property as Commercial in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock