Discuss Electra U/F heating warranty in the Underfloor Heating Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pretty Mouth

Regular EF Member
Question for Uheat - Jake:

I notice the Electra warranty form requires details of 'professional body membership'. Does this mean Uheat would not honour a warranty if it was installed by an electrician who wasn't a member of a competent persons scheme?

Pete999

Forum Mentor

I notice the Electra warranty form requires details of 'professional body membership'. Does this mean Uheat would not honour a warranty if it was installed by an electrician who wasn't a member of a competent persons scheme?
Probably yes.

Uheat – Jake

Official Sponsor

Unfortunately you would need to have part P and be registered with a professional body.

James the Spark1976

electricity is it real or just magic?
Electrician's Arms
Unfortunately you would need to have part P and be registered with a professional body.
I must say that I think that is an unusually restrictive warranty clause.

If fitted correctly and to manufacturers instructions abiding to all local regulations etc.
any faulty component of a piece of new equipment purchased in good faith directly or through a normal dealership type arrangement should be repaired or replaced free for the duration of the warranty.

In My opinion.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
another ting to consider is that if the building/extension/whatever is already subject to planning control, electrician does not need to be in a cps to comply with part pee. just a copy of the EIC to BC.

that's put the cat in the pigeon coop.

anthonybragg

Electrician's Arms
another ting to consider is that if the building/extension/whatever is already subject to planning control, electrician does not need to be in a cps to comply with part pee. just a copy of the EIC to BC.

that's put the cat in the pigeon coop.
But your right Tel. I don't belong to one of the schemes so on the odd occasion that I would be installing I could go through my LBC.

OP
Pretty Mouth

Pretty Mouth

Regular EF Member
Thanks for the reply Jake. Having checked your competitors it seems they require the same. Whilst I appreciate your position on this, it does give me a headache as I'm not on a scheme. Is there any flexibility on this, some other way of proving competence?

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
Thanks for the reply Jake. Having checked your competitors it seems they require the same. Whilst I appreciate your position on this, it does give me a headache as I'm not on a scheme. Is there any flexibility on this, some other way of proving competence?
yeah.buy from Ambient UFH .

Uheat – Jake

Official Sponsor
Unfortunately without a body how can it be confirmed that you conform to current regulations. This isn't our Warranty Requirements, this is Elektra EU's requirements along with 99% of our competitors.

Reactions: Dan

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
i have a body. it might be old and knackered, but it's still my body.... likeTrigger's broom. :D:D:D

telectrix

Scouser and Proud.
Respected Member
and how does membership of niceic and the like prove competence. all it proves is that you've done a couple of compliant jobs, can cope with all the paperwork, and are good for the fee cheque each year. all 99% of the jobs not inspected could be complete shambles.

OP
Pretty Mouth

Pretty Mouth

Regular EF Member
Whilst I don't like it, I can sort of see why the must-be-on-a-part-p-scheme policy is in place in this instance. The schemes only prove minimum competence, but that's better than zero competence. Without the policy they'll have to send someone out to check every DIY installation gone wrong, which costs money whether the vendor/manufacturer ends up repairing under warranty or not.

There are many other qualifications that prove competence however, and I think they should be taken into account - it's lazy just to say you've got to be on a part p scheme.

ferg

Electrician's Arms
TBH I would have thought most underfloor heating faults would be caused by the flooring installer and have absolutely nothing to do with the electrical side of it.

I have never and can't see why I would install the UFH. I just connect it up.

Reactions: PEG

PEG

Respected Member
TBH I would have thought most underfloor heating faults would be caused by the flooring installer and have absolutely nothing to do with the electrical side of it.

I have never and can't see why I would install the UFH. I just connect it up.
....but i can confirm the comforting feeling,of placing your half-eaten bacon sarny,on the tiles,while you shower....and then continue enjoying it,during drying phase...apart from the fur... :)

OP
Pretty Mouth

Pretty Mouth

Regular EF Member
An update, in case anyone's interested.

On Tel's advice I ordered the UF heating from Ambient. I got it sent to my folks' address cos I'm never at home when the postie knocks, and picked it up the day before it was to be fitted. Opened up the box, and saw they'd sent me Prowarm instead of Ambient! (need to be on a scheme for the warranty with prowarm)

Well, I had to fit it as I had the tiler snapping at my heels. I phoned ambient, and they advised that if I filled in the paper warranty forms and scanned + emailed them to prowarm then they would honour the warranty even without being on a scheme. I don't know if they just said that to get rid of me, but it's done now. Fingers crossed there'll be no problems.

Incidentally I found another UFH company that doesn't require scheme membership for installers, SmartMat. I'll be using one of their UFH mats next month on a bathroom.

happyhippydad

Electrician's Arms
I haven't read through everyones post on this thread but having had recent dealings with both Jake and Neil at Uheat I can happily recommend them. With regards the thread it looks like Uheat are just passing on the information stipulated by Electra. Also, seeing as though being a member of a scheme is the only form of measuring 'competence' that we have, that is what they use. Although far from perfect, it seems it is the only option.

Dan

I'm not a sparky but I know a couple ;-)
Staff member
Admin
I'm not sure it's a good thing to be looking for a UFH company that doesn't require a part P installer. Because when something goes wrong, you can bet your arse they'll dig out of it that way.

I think the other way to go about it is pay your local council to do an inspection which even if you're not part p will give the manufacturers you're using some assurances that the job was done right because it gets signed off as such.

But again, looking for a firm that doesn't do what all the others do doesn't ring the right bells for me.

ferg

Electrician's Arms
I just don't get what part P has to do with honouring a warranty on a product like this.

Following MI's I can completely understand but part P?

Surely either the product is faulty or it isn't?

I live and work in Scotland where part P does not exist and scheme membership is optional.

Midwest

Electrician's Arms
I just don't get what part P has to do with honouring a warranty on a product like this.

Following MI's I can completely understand but part P?

Surely either the product is faulty or it isn't?

I live and work in Scotland where part P does not exist and scheme membership is optional.
It does seem unusual; most manufacturers seem to just stipulate a competent electrician etc, for installing luminaires or electric ovens for example. Perhaps UFH manufacturers are confusing Part P requirement, with a product being installed in a special location?

Like or loath it, the only thing schemes do, is confirm your qualifications and liability insurance; anybody can say they have qualifications and are therefore competent.

PS as others have said, a lot of UFH is laid by trades other than electricians, i.e. you don't need electrical skills to do that, do you?

tony clark

gaslec instalations
a case of bathroom fitter passing the buck many a tiler and plumber has screwed thought the mesh and tiler has cut the wire with his trowel
thats why the always say in the mi to check resistance before and after
tiling

ruston

Respected Member
a case of bathroom fitter passing the buck many a tiler and plumber has screwed thought the mesh and tiler has cut the wire with his trowel
thats why the always say in the mi to check resistance before and after
tiling
They used to even supply a booklet to record the results as part of the warranty . Don't know about now though.

OP
Pretty Mouth

Pretty Mouth

Regular EF Member
I'm not sure it's a good thing to be looking for a UFH company that doesn't require a part P installer. Because when something goes wrong, you can bet your arse they'll dig out of it that way.

I think the other way to go about it is pay your local council to do an inspection which even if you're not part p will give the manufacturers you're using some assurances that the job was done right because it gets signed off as such.

But again, looking for a firm that doesn't do what all the others do doesn't ring the right bells for me.
Getting the council involved is a terrible idea, and at £400 a pop would be commercial suicide.

It's regrettable that U-heat don't sell a product I can use, otherwise I would have happily bought from them. However, there are alternative products that I can use - they do exactly the same thing and offer the same lifetime warranty, without the absurd requirement for part-p membership. I don't see how a UFH company could renege on their warranty based on something that isn't in their warranty terms.

Electrician Talk