Discuss ELECTRAK and similar power tracks. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've been putting some new floor boxes in on am existing electrak system.

The floor boxes come pre-wired with 2x DSSOs and a data plate. There is also a 5m pre-connected steel flex conduit.

The flex and assembly is wired internally with 4mm singles.

The plug (taps in) is not fused so potentially this could see 4 x 13A, the track are off 40A MCBs.

Job was thrown on me late last night, told its all plug and play nothing to worry about.

Something didn't sit right with them, especially the four sockets on the 4mm singles, unfused.

I guess it comes down to whether the 4mm singles are protected by the 40A MCB, they are loose in 20mm steel flex conduit, sat on a concrete floor.

Probably not, thought I and obviously had no books to check CCC, so disconnected one of the sockets in each box.

Still not home yet, somewhere else not work, and wondering if I over reacted.

Back on Monday so no drama.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of this stuff.

The Electrak tracks (busbars) are rated for 63A, but the tap-offs are described as "32A" tap-offs. However, careful reading of the manufacturers specification (see link below) confirms that they only have to be limited to 32A if the attached cable is longer than 3m. So, if you have been supplied with pre-assembled floorboxes with a 3m cable, then in theory the track and all the tap-offs could be protected by a 63A MCB. (The supplied cables are thermosetting 90 degrees C)
I would check this with Legrand to ensure you are clear how this complies, as I'm not sure I am!

https://www.legrand.co.uk/media/4388/electrak_powertrack.pdf

Sorry - I just noticed that the OP confirmed the pre-assembled floorboxes came with 5m cables, so each track should be protected with a 32A MCB. Under the circumstances, I would definitely call Legrand before insisting that the existing MCBs are downgraded.

Sorry - I just noticed that the OP confirmed the pre-assembled floorboxes came with 5m cables, so each track should be protected with a 32A MCB. Under the circumstances, I would definitely call Legrand before insisting that the existing MCBs are downgraded.
I just been looking at the product codes and they are a 3m not 5m, still be having a chat with Legrand to see how they square a potential 52A on 4mm singles.

Don't get me wrong the documentation says all's good.

Reply to ELECTRAK and similar power tracks. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock