Discuss Electric gate power in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dan Carroll

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Afternoon team.

2 questions from someone whose learning.

Let me paint the scene. A mates house with a 20 meter drive. They have lights up the drive and on the gate posts. The lights are fed by 1.5mm 3 core SWA. They want to add electric motors for the gates

So first. From what I've researched, the motor required will only pull 2 amps. Well within the scope of the 1.5mm. It just seems odd (new to this remember) to put this powered unit onto a 1.5mm. I cant find anything that says it cant though. So is that part ok?

Secondly. Obviously the gate cant take the live from the light circuit, otherwise the lights would have to be on constantly. So could I not use the 3 core to have 2 live cores (1 for lights, 1 for gate) and a neutral, obviously using the armour as the CPC. I presume you can as we use many circuits with multiple lives, but best to get others opinions.

Many thanks as always

Dan

both live wires will need to originate at the same circuit breaker, otherwise you have created a situation with a shared neutral.

i expect the cable is ok for current loading but it would depend on the type and amount of lighting on the circuit.
dont forget that in that circumstance, the neutral conductor will be the heaviest loaded as it will take the return currents from both the lights and the gate motor.

both live wires will need to originate at the same circuit breaker, otherwise you have created a situation with a shared neutral.

i expect the cable is ok for current loading but it would depend on the type and amount of lighting on the circuit.
dont forget that in that circumstance, the neutral conductor will be the heaviest loaded as it will take the return currents from both the lights and the gate motor.

They would be from the same circuit breaker. My thought was to split it at the switch for the lighting and add a second switch for the gate.

The lighting, about 10 posts, are all going to be changed to LED bulbs so (again very new to this) I would have thought that was OK.

should not be a problem. I would suggest using 2 SFCUs , 1 for gates and 1 for lights. As long as the 2 fuse values added together are < the CCC of 1.5 cable ( about 16A for SWA ), then the neutral can't be overloaded.

should not be a problem. I would suggest using 2 SFCUs , 1 for gates and 1 for lights. As long as the 2 fuse values added together are < the CCC of 1.5 cable ( about 16A for SWA ), then the neutral can't be overloaded.

Makes sense. A 3amp fuse on both would be enough I would have thought. 10 LEDs on one and 2 amp gate motor on the other. The N would never get more than 6amps.

i'd go with a 5A or even a 7A (yes you can get 7A 1362's) for the gates. motors have high starting currents.

Provided the armour of the cable is providing and effective earth you have used your brain to find a solution. As long as the protective device is suitably rated for the cable, current flowing in the neutral is irrelevant.

i'd go with a 5A or even a 7A (yes you can get 7A 1362's) for the gates. motors have high starting currents.
Very happy to learn this. Without looking I just presumed it was 3 and 13amp.
[automerge]1593711464[/automerge]
Thank you all for the quick and effective answers. It's always good to know that you are on the right path, even I just need a slight nudge in the right direction.

I understand what you are talking about, but I can't help you with anything. The best thing to do for you is to contact a specialized company that builds and installs gates. I installed a new gate in front of my house, and my cousin recommended that I work with {LINK REMOVED FROM NEW FORUM MEMBER) They have been on this market for more than ten years, and they have pretty reasonable prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the specification of the gates, then can have high start up currents, but even worse stall and obstruction currents where they encounter an obstruction and reverse direction.

I would suggest fitting a small enclosure and using MCBs to protect the cable, rather than a fuse. At some point the gate will be fouled and the motor stalled, blowing the fuse, which will inevitably be replaced by a 13A one.

Might also be worth looking at how the lights are triggered as often the gate controls will have an output for them when the gates are opened.

Reply to Electric gate power in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock