Discuss Electric Gates internal communication u/g cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi touched on this before re the actual gates ( I'm not going to install them). what I'm wondering as I've no MI spec to go from is what suitable u/g cable would be reqd to cover myself for the various gates / com systems that are out there. basically at this point in time i just want to first fix the house end. in other words just get the cable into the house and into a flush box (Com box) Thanks

How many cores do you need for a start?

Well, that's the question really. I've had a quick browse, many different systems about. So i was thinking possibly 6 cores to cover variables. Possibly 6 core SWA cat 5 if there is such a thing (will look now) or similar. Any ideas welcome though. I was thinking /hoping that a standard flush 35/48mm twin box would be suitable for the internal com gear. Afternoon project if time is to browse on here for info .

Well, that's the question really. I've had a quick browse, many different systems about. So i was thinking possibly 6 cores to cover variables. Possibly 6 core SWA cat 5 if there is such a thing (will look now) or similar. Any ideas welcome though. I was thinking /hoping that a standard flush 35/48mm twin box would be suitable for the internal com gear. Afternoon project if time is to browse on here for info .

Surely the gate controls come with some sort of instructions?

Pete i will power the gates from the garage. Most people on here have suggested 2.5mm SWA for gates and possible lights. i just want to get a suitable u/g communication cable into the house and suitable flush box so can all platered in.

can you not just lay a duct so the cable can be pulled in after if needed.

Possibly, will consider that option. The floor is block n Beam. The only areas of floor that have been punctured are in a couple of corners for stack pipes. I've used one corner for my SWA to garage. i think the idea is... not to puncture / drill elsewhere.

Sorry mate miss read your thread, if you have no info I would lay some ducting in to allow for concrete or whater material your customer wants to lay 2.5 sounds about right if it were me I would put some 4.0mm just in case, as you don't mention the distance from garage to gate, or lay a duct until you get more info, I take it that as you are not going to install the gates, your customer is using the gate supplier to fit the wiring. Lay some ducting, as for the flush mounting box, do you know for defo that the controller is flush mounted? sorry I cant be more helpful. good luck

Sorry mate miss read your thread, if you have no info I would lay some ducting in to allow for concrete or whater material your customer wants to lay 2.5 sounds about right if it were me I would put some 4.0mm just in case, as you don't mention the distance from garage to gate, or lay a duct until you get more info, I take it that as you are not going to install the gates, your customer is using the gate supplier to fit the wiring. Lay some ducting, as for the flush mounting box, do you know for defo that the controller is flush mounted? sorry I cant be more helpful. good luck
Thanks, I suppose I could always flush in a single box and surface mount the gate inter/com / controller on top of it.

PS re distance; Mains to detached garage + 35m x 16mm SWA. Garage to Gates approx. 30m

It's a bit of an open question. If the customer can't say what they might purchase its difficult for you to advise on cables sizes, cores etc. Sods law dictates whatever you do will be wrong. Its a bit like me asking for some car tyres and not specifying the make and model of vehicle. They might be right, they might be wrong. I agree with the other posts, I'd just lay ducting so that when they do decide on what gates they want (if they ever do choose to have them) the cables can be pulled then.

I was looking at some gates for a customer and the power requirements were very low. If you really need to lay a cable then look at a couple of manufacturers for power requirements, then do your cable calcs/voltage drop etc and put something in writing to the customer to cover your backside when the cable isn't big enough/have enough cores etc and they try and blame you!

Pete i will power the gates from the garage. Most people on here have suggested 2.5mm SWA for gates and possible lights. i just want to get a suitable u/g communication cable into the house and suitable flush box so can all platered in.

You don't say how far the gate is from the house whilst it has been suggested 2.5mm this can depend upon the volt drop.

You don't say how far the gate is from the house whilst it has been suggested 2.5mm this can depend upon the volt drop.

PS re distance; Mains to detached garage = 35m x 16mm SWA. Garage to Gates approx. 30m
I edited and added above info later. Possibly not on show or added later. At this stage I'm more concerned about the communication side of things

Reply to Electric Gates internal communication u/g cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net