Discuss Electric Gates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
Another, how long is a piece of string question! Anyone with electric gate installation experience. Have a couple of clients that are having electric gates installed, not particularly big and of the motorised hinge type. Just wondering what rating the motors tend to run at. Im steering clear of the gate installation but they want the main power feeds put in place. I have one motor spec rated at 40W max absorbed current...are they really that low?

Another, how long is a piece of string question! Anyone with electric gate installation experience. Have a couple of clients that are having electric gates installed, not particularly big and of the motorised hinge type. Just wondering what rating the motors tend to run at. Im steering clear of the gate installation but they want the main power feeds put in place. I have one motor spec rated at 40W max absorbed current...are they really that low?
Contact the Gate manufacturer for the consumption information, or get your customer to do it for you.

400watts would seem a more likely figure. they are only FHP motors. i.e max. of around 0.7kW.

Not looking at very big cables then, voltage drop permitting.
A quick search turned up "Roger Technology BM30/304 HS HIGH SPEED BRUSHLESS motor kit" with motors of 130W and 200W so very much "fractional horsepower" motor size.

If they are 230V then I would expect 1-2A amps max. Just make sure you are not wiring at 24V or similar between modules as then you could be looking at 10A or so!

a lot of thes gate motors are 24V so as above, a higher current, but that won't affect the supply which will be 230V, stepped down in the motor contol panel.

I normally go for a 10 amp supply , depending on length .
Gives them the chance to plug some Christmas lights in at the end of the drive aswell.
Mostly a 6 amp would do , but it just feels wrong not to up it a little.
If you are not talking 100's of meters just run a 16anm supply and be done with it.

i would install a 1.5mm SWA 4 core ( dependent on length of run). this would give a spare core for any other features required in the future.

Reply to Electric Gates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net