Discuss Electric heating options in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hellmooth

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Got a customer looking to replace some storage heaters, I've seen the dimplex quantum and they look decent, has anyone fitted these? Or have any other options, cheers!

I wouldn't use quantum then, they would be useless without 24hr supply.
Why do they want to change the storage heaters?

If they are just looking old or are not automatic then any replacement automatic storage heaters would be OK.

If they are looking for more flexibility in their heating then you would have to go for installing a 24hr supply and using quantum, combination storage heaters or just panel heaters which would be just about as effective if they stop the E7 tariff
I have not really cottoned on to the advantage of quantum and how it will really save you money, as far as I can see it is just a combination storage heater with automatic controls to waste money when you did not actually need the heat. Convenient and easier to use than most others but not cheaper, despite their claims. However I haven't fitted one so I could be very wrong.

I fitted a couple a month ago. The main advantage in my view is that they are actually half decent looking when compared to a lot of the others out there. The boost element along the bottom has come in handy the client told me, on some of the colder days.

Other than that, I suppose the boost element may be handy if someone if getting chilly at 10pm and the core has cooled.

just looking at some heaters by the EHC

2400watt EHC ELECTRIC RADIATOR (lounge)

these are to replace storage heaters that are untidy & that the customers work patterns means that the cat has a lovely life but they do not, opted for 24h supply units which have built in timers this way can charge the unit inside & then boost during day, from my point of view I just change the supply over & get them Eco 10.
only to charge the panels in the afternoon.
was looking at fisher nice German firm for their heaters have a ceramic core, they will not sell to third party without having full heat calcs done. EHC on the other hand I took all the measurements doors window, ceiling heights full room calculations & sent them of & they done the rest.

Cheers guys, the house was fire damaged so they need replaced, the custome had asked if there was any other options apart from just storage so thought I'd ask the question. It wasn't until I had started the thread I realised I would probably have to use the existing supply which was economy 7. It is a small flat all concrete ceilings floors and walls so running cables wouldn't be ideal! I will have a look for decent looking storage heaters! I'll have a look at EHC Marc!

Storage heaters are shee-ite IMO. Old technology and often only on at times not convenient to the homeowner unless they have THTC. If you are on a THTC then you're normally locked into one or two energy providers like Hydro. I find most storage heaters in older poorly insulated houses so not good again.

Most storage heaters are made by Dimplex and just rebadged. The Qunatums are expensive and IMO their attempt to make storage heaters more 'modern'. I've also had poor experience with Dimplex customer services.

if it were me I'd suggest something else.

I have had quite a few customers that have ditched their storage heaters (e7), and have gone for modern Electric 24hr supply convectors, don.t know the makes, but these are meant to be very efficient

Air2air heat pump?. Basically an air con unit so uses a refrigeration cycle to heat very efficiently (seasonal coefficient of performance about 4, so 4x as much heat out as electricity used). Indoor unit mounts on a wall. All the modern ones are 'inverter' so vary the speed of the outdoor compressor and fans according to the heat load. Very good time/temp controls so doesn't overheat the room!

Reply to Electric heating options in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net