Discuss Electric Meter - Cable Disconnected? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

Hurders

I've bought a repossessed house where the electric (prepay) meter appears to have disconnected. Picture of inside of meter box below:

Elec_meter.jpg

I've topped up the meter so there is credit on it (the meter seems to be fully functioning) and I flicked the trip switches in the house to on but I still don't have any electric in the house. I originally thought the disconnected cable was one that wasn't needed and perhaps disconected when the prepay meter was put in, but now that I can't get any electric on I'm assuming it's probably because the cable needs to be connected (I've put an arrow on the pic to show the most obvious place where it looks like it should be?)

I've rung my electricity supplier who'll send out someone on emergency same day service but I want to be sure that it's the cable that's likely to be the reason I don't have electricity in the house before I get someone out (in case they come, say that isn't the problem and charge me for a wasted trip).

Should the cable be connected?

could you remove the tape, and post a picture on here, so we can see the whole scenario.Also don't quite understand why the tape mentiones the services of a plumber?

not sure from the picture being obscured by tape but you have 4 tails entering the property, did it have electric heating in the past that has been disconnected?

Did you hear the contactor in the meter make when you cashed it up?
Those meters continually rack up debt on them (to pay the weekly debt payment) so it might need more cash. Need to ask the wife as she deals with ours.

The plumbing tape might be because the house had a burst so they've chopped the electric.

Not actually at the property right now to get a clearer picture without the tape but to answer a few of your questions:

The property did (I believe) have electric heaters in originally which were at some point taken out and gas central heating put in. Could the loose cable be a remnant of that rather than a necessary cable?

And, yes, the house has had some water damage from a burst pipe in an adjoining property (both properties were unoccupied at the time so flooding caused quite a bit of damage before it was noticed and stopped).

And yes, I definitely have topped up the prepay meter with sufficient credit. I initially got a code from my supplier to clear previous occupants debt and have now topped up so cycling through the meter screen I can see that I have zero debt and about £5 credit.

Starting to think that it may not be that loose wire causing electric to be off after all? As I said I don't want to be getting my supplier to get someone out only to find that they can't fix it and then end up charging me for a wasted call out.

I'll be at the property tomorrow so I'll try and have a closer look, get a better picture.

Reply to Electric Meter - Cable Disconnected? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net