Discuss electric meter issue. The grid, meter or consumer unit issue? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Nice video :) Seems to highlight the issue quite well

How is power delivered to your house? Overhead or underground? Does the service head feel warm where the cable enters and around the fuse?

Since the meter is resetting/reporting an error I suspect it's a loose connection on the supply side of the meter (I'm guessing Low U equates to Low Voltage indicating a brown out or black out situation).

thank you, its underground. I've not touched the fuse. Do you think I should call somebody from the national grid before I get an electrician out?

The only other questions I have are... what happens if you add low power items building up the load to something like the blender? Is it only the blender that causes it or does say the kettle result in the same thing?

Yes, in this scenario I agree it looks like it's "upstream" of the meter, i.e. DNO territory so call them first.

The only other questions I have are... what happens if you add low power items building up the load to something like the blender? Is it only the blender that causes it or does say the kettle result in the same thing?
Another interesting question ... though to be honest a ~1kW load isn't exactly high, is it?! And are lights, for example, also affected when higher demand is made of the system? Or just the circuit with the blender / kettle?

I've tried that and any high power item I plug in causes the problem, a computer, a plasma telly. Also I've tried isolation areas by turning kitchen sockets off and front room sockets on with the consumer unit and it still happens in whatever zone I isolate. So it happens on my kitchen sockets and my front room sockets. The consumer box never trips out. I've also spoke with neighbours and there electricity supply is fine.

When I turn all the zones on, lights, front room sockets, kitchen sockets, the whole house receives intermittent power, the lights flicker. Also nothing on the consumer unit trips out.

If the meter has already been changed by the Energy supplier, EON, they would have had the Main fuse out and hopefully would have checked the outgoing cable terminations at the fuse / neutral.

If they did then it can only be a loose connection into the Fuse cutout or underground cable fault.

For Hull it's Northern Powergrid - Yorkshire.

I’ve found that if you contact the DNO online and include the words ‘fire’ and / or ‘explode’ you get quite i quick response. N.B Not sayinging that’s an issue in this case. I had a problem with a faulty meter and was going round the houses with the supplier. Tried to contact them online and just added that I was scared that it was faulty and might catch fire. Funnily enough I got quite a quick response. Reckon they must have a key word filter on emails to prioritise. :D

Same fault I was called to with the disco shower. My video was slightly less professional...
Loose neutral on supply cable joint just outside the house.
I should also note that in this condition any earthed/bonded metalwork will have a voltage (possibly quite a tingly one) on it!

Last edited:

Reply to electric meter issue. The grid, meter or consumer unit issue? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock