Discuss Electric metre cupboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Looking to run some power to my shed, my metre cupboard is opposite my shed 5 metres max, I have a smart metre and DNOs isolator, if I replaced the DNOs isolator and put a new 3 way metal unit in there so I’m changing the isolator like for like and then I’ll just feed an MCB from bottom of isolator and then my SWA to my shed? Consumer unit is too far away to feed it from there.
Thanks

So your main house CU would then be fed from the new 3 way one?
Yes, I have no room to fit an enclosure at min and add Henley blocks etc, so I’ll replace the isolator with a new 3 way enclosure, in there will be a isolator which will feed the CU in the house and will add an MCB from bottom of isolator and feed my shed
[automerge]1582309452[/automerge]
You cannot remove the DNO’s isolator.
Is there room for a couple of henleys and split the tails coming out the isolator?
Nope no room, I’m swapping like for like can’t see there being an issue

You aren't replacing like for like. You are changing an isolator for a dist board.

I’d ask the DNO before touching their equipment mate, they don’t mind you pulling fuses but removing they stuff is pushing it I’d say?..

You aren't replacing like for like. You are changing an isolator for a dist board.
Which is exactly the same just a bigger enclosure will still have isolator
[automerge]1582309856[/automerge]
I’d ask the DNO before touching their equipment mate, they don’t mind you pulling fuses but removing they stuff is pushing it I’d say?..
I see what people are saying hence why I asked, I could possibly move the isolator higher and fit some Henley blocks but those cupbords aren’t the biggest

Think I have a better way, I have a socket in front room with is directly opposite shed, if I punch through the wall and fit a fused spur (13A) then SWA to my shed? I have already have the 3 way consumer unit so can I just feed that to my consumer unit I have 63A 30mA RCD and 16A, 6A MCBs obviously I’m only governed by 13A which all I want is a couple sockets and a light
[automerge]1582311502[/automerge]
Can I feed the 63A 30mA RCD with the 2.5mm SWA?

Think I have a better way, I have a socket in front room with is directly opposite shed, if I punch through the wall and fit a fused spur (13A) then SWA to my shed? I have already have the 3 way consumer unit so can I just feed that to my consumer unit I have 63A 30mA RCD and 16A, 6A MCBs obviously I’m only governed by 13A which all I want is a couple sockets and a light
[automerge]1582311502[/automerge]
Can I feed the 63A 30mA RCD with the 2.5mm SWA?
Is the circuit already RCD protected?

Not sure why you are asking - the 63A is the maximum rating of the RCD, and is not some rating that it will trip at (it will just overheat or weld the contacts etc if you put more than 63A through it).

So 2.5mm2 cable is fine from a protective device of 13A (the FCU fuse), assuming the short cable length you mentioned.

Remember to gland the SWA and earth the armour.

pointless feeding a CU from a RFC socket. just add a RCDFCU, then SWA to shed socket/s, 5A FCU for light/s, fed from shed socket circuit.As SWA does not require RCD protection, the RCDFCU can be in the shed

Reply to Electric metre cupboard in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net