Discuss Electric rewire quote - what should it contain? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

Honky Tonk

If you are getting a quote for a rewire what should the quote contain?

Will it contain the name of the consumer unit and the position on the wall/ceiling where the chases will be etc?

Would be great if someone could pm a quote they have done or received so I have an idea of what to expect when I start contacting people next week when I get the keys.

You should have an idea of what you would be requiring in your specification as sometimes people are clueless and that is where a discussion with your electrician will come into it.
You may not have that discussion in-depth with all the quotes but you need to know what you would like and voice it.
If there are things and ideas that come up as the works continue, be sure to voice them as soon as possible and expect to pay for the extra works even getting them recorded for both you and the electrician.
Im sure someone will PM a quote.
Welcome to the forum, hope that it helps you in your upheaval!

I don't include brand names on my quotes, but do have a room by room break down of what included (number of socket outlets, 2 way switching, pendants or down lights, tv points, internet points, smoke alarms etc etc). A rewire I am starting in September has a bedroom with 10!! Double Sockets in it.

I don't include plans on what is going where, this would be marked onto the walls if quote is accepted and the work is about to commence, with the customer going through room by room with me.

If you get quotes that are a couple of lines long and give no details on what's included I'd be concerned about what you are actually getting.

If you are getting a quote for a rewire what should the quote contain?

Will it contain the name of the consumer unit and the position on the wall/ceiling where the chases will be etc?

Would be great if someone could pm a quote they have done or received so I have an idea of what to expect when I start contacting people next week when I get the keys.
Every quotation will be different Mate, when you contact the Electricians you should expect an initial visit as to discuss what points /sockets, switches you require, how many etc, if the electrician is any good he will or should bring catalogs of types of accessories, Consumers Units for you to choose from, so there will be no confusion for both parties.

At this visit you should discuss with him the routing of any chases that may be required, along with what points you require, in places like the Kitchen, Living Room, Dinning Room etc any outside buildings, outside lighting that is to be included in the quotation, you will need to be clear, both you and the Electrician as to who will be filling in the chases, and to what point, ie finish ready for painting etc.

Asking people for sample quotes may be met with a no show from some guys, as they will not want to publicly show how they price for jobs.

You could after the initial visit, and quotation, post it on the Forum, omitting names and addresses of course, for opinions of what guys think of the quotes.

At least that's my take for what it's worth, remember to ask for recommendations from previous customers, also check if they belong to one of the CPS Schemes, (note, this last recommendation is not always a good indication, as there will be some bad boys around)

Oh and pay in stages so much up front, a percentage after 1st fix (wiring chasing, fitting boxes etc) (percentage after second fix and testing) keeping a small percentage back for snagging purposes.

Think of everything you want done to be included in the quotation, as day work for extras can become expensive. Keep detailed notes of what was discussed at the pre quotation visit, to avoid any contentious issues on completion, of each stage of the work.

Last edited:
@Pete999 I've never taken catalogues with me to quote for a domestic rewire. Customer to pick their Consumer Unit?

I don't give the option of what brand of Consumer Unit, Smoke Alarm, Switches and Sockets I will use. Bezel Colour and Lamp colour on downlights and finish of the faceplates etc yes for sure, but don't need catalogues for that.

@Pete999 I've never taken catalogues with me to quote for a domestic rewire. Customer to pick their Consumer Unit?

I don't give the option of what brand of Consumer Unit, Smoke Alarm, Switches and Sockets I will use. Bezel Colour and Lamp colour on downlights and finish of the faceplates etc yes for sure, but don't need catalogues for that.
Well that's your choice Mate, I was just advising someone who obviously has little experience with this issue, just to help him understand, he may not want downlights at all, unlikely, but you never know, this would be wheer a catalog would come in handy, imo. Horses for courses I suppose.

Well that's your choice Mate, I was just advising someone who obviously has little experience with this issue, just to help him understand, he may not want downlights at all, unlikely, but you never know, this would be wheer a catalog would come in handy, imo. Horses for courses I suppose.
Why is a catalogue needed? It's not handy, it's a hindrance. If I took catalogues to all the quotations I wouldn't have time to do any work as I'd be stuck going through catalogues with customers so they can pick what Smoke Alarms they want, what consumer units they want etc etc.

If customer is getting a rewire they usually have a fair idea of what they want, and in other cases all they need is a little expert guidance. Not an array of catalogues to confuse them further.

Every quotation will be different Mate, when you contact the Electricians you should expect an initial visit as to discuss what points /sockets, switches you require, how many etc, if the electrician is any good he will or should bring catalogs of types of accessories, Consumers Units for you to choose from, so there will be no confusion for both parties.

At this visit you should discuss with him the routing of any chases that may be required, along with what points you require, in places like the Kitchen, Living Room, Dinning Room etc any outside buildings, outside lighting that is to be included in the quotation, you will need to be clear, both you and the Electrician as to who will be filling in the chases, and to what point, ie finish ready for painting etc.

Asking people for sample quotes may be met with a no show from some guys, as they will not want to publicly show how they price for jobs.

You could after the initial visit, and quotation, post it on the Forum, omitting names and addresses of course, for opinions of what guys think of the quotes.

At least that's my take for what it's worth, remember to ask for recommendations from previous customers, also check if they belong to one of the CPS Schemes, (note, this last recommendation is not always a good indication, as there will be some bad boys around)

Oh and pay in stages so much up front, a percentage after 1st fix (wiring chasing, fitting boxes etc) (percentage after second fix and testing) keeping a small percentage back for snagging purposes.

Think of everything you want done to be included in the quotation, as day work for extras can become expensive. Keep detailed notes of what was discussed at the pre quotation visit, to avoid any contentious issues on completion, of each stage of the work.
holy dissertation, batman Pete, you need a bottle or 2 after that essay. :D:D:D.

Why is a catalogue needed? It's not handy, it's a hindrance. If I took catalogues to all the quotations I wouldn't have time to do any work as I'd be stuck going through catalogues with customers so they can pick what Smoke Alarms they want, what consumer units they want etc etc.

If customer is getting a rewire they usually have a fair idea of what they want, and in other cases all they need is a little expert guidance. Not an array of catalogues to confuse them further.
Whatever floats yer boat Mate

Although I have never taken a catalogue with me when quoting for a rewire, I must say it seems a good idea. If I were quoting for your house rewire I would initially meet on site to determine the safety of the site and viability/necessity of a rewire. Given it is agreed it is needed we would proceed around the property and I would map onto my graph paper where you want sockets lights cooker points etc. which you would sign as the basis of agreement and for the sake of avoiding disagreements. Also where the consumer unit will go. We would determine if you needed data points emergency lights burglar alarm and so on. When I have the information I would prepare a quote and if accepted would issue a contract including the price and exactly what was agreed with a 30% deposit required. When the deposit was paid I would arrange delivery of materials. Start date and finish date would already be agreed on the contract. Any variation would be agreed in writing with costs before they were added to the job list. I would specify in the contract I do not replaster, retile, relay carpet and so on. I would require staged payments as the work progresses. When the work is finished to your satisfaction and I have issued an Electrical Installation certificate and arranged building control notice to be sent to you. Final payment would be demanded.

Whatever floats yer boat Mate
Did you ever run your own business and offer free quotations for the likes of domestic rewires?

If quotation is accepted I don't mind spending a little time with customer with catalogues in tow for the likes of decorative lights and decorative outside lights. At quotation or any stage for Consumer units etc - wise up.

Steady on @123 no need to rip into anyone because they suggested a catalogue. If you don't take one fine but calling people dumb and telling them to wise up is a bit over the top and unecessary just for their suggestion. Live and let live mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
holy dissertation, batman Pete, you need a bottle or 2 after that essay. :D:D:D.
On it already Tel
Steady on @123 no need to rip into anyone becuase they suggested a catalogue. If you don't take one fine but calling people dumb and telling them to wise up i a bit over the top and uncessary just for their suggestion. Live and let live mate.
Ignore is the best option I reckon

Steady on @123 no need to rip into anyone becuase they suggested a catalogue. If you don't take one fine but calling people dumb and telling them to wise up i a bit over the top and uncessary just for their suggestion. Live and let live mate.
"Whatever floats yer boat mate"

Found that post dumb and a tad insulting. Felt rather that just label it dumb, better to reply to it as well. I can accept I went a little too far so apologies if I have caused offence to @Pete999, but would like to know what experience he has in free quotations for domestic rewires, to see where his experience on this particular topic lies.

Most of my domestic customers know what a twin socket looks like, and they either want white ones or metal ones, shiny chrome etc etc. Very few know what a consumer unit is.

I did for a while take some glossy mags showing downlights etc, but changed to having some actual fittings, to demonstrate the different colour temperatures & bezel finishes. However, it does tend to drag on a bit, and times money.

@123 why berate @Pete999? It’s up to him if he finds a catalogue useful. You have your opinion and he has his
Read post #14.

Can @Pete999 not answer a question or speak for himself now?
I'll repeat the question as I find it very relevant to what experience he has on this particular topic:
To @Pete999 Did you ever run your own business and offer free quotations for the likes of domestic rewires?

Reply to Electric rewire quote - what should it contain? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock