Discuss electric rolling shutter not working ..and making noise in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mohammad

Hi guys

Ive got a problem and wondered what you guys think as I don't want to get ripped of...basically the shutter used to make a noise going up
And down for about 3 yrs..we did not take any notice...but today the shutter opened up unusually ..it went slow...then when it put down..it stopped half way and stopped working...the electronic unit as it is a remote control..makes a buzzing noise when the button is pressed. ..
Please help me to diagnose this...Thanks

Sounds like its seized up - IE motor or rollerdoor jammed....although many other issues may give same result; no quick way to resolve, you require an Engineer to test it, try unhooking the auto to manual use and see if the door is jammed solid.... most modern roller shutters and many old ones have a manual over-ride set-up although you may have to drop a chain off a lever to engage it at high level.

Thanks soo much Darkwood ...the engineer is now at the premises...and has said its the motor...he is charging 395 for it..the thing is we have replaced this motor about 3 yrs ago... what can we do to prevent this happenning in future. ...thanks again ...

New motors don't should have a good service life well in excess of 3 yrs so either the motor is wrong for the task, the motor protection is set up wrong or you have power issues maybe loose connection in controls that can damage the motor over time. Without a diagnosis of motor failure IE Bearings, windings, etc etc cant give a better guess. Find out what has exactly failed with regards to the motor ...if it has burnt out ask why the motor protection failed.

Are the shutter door tracks (if it has any) properly maintained, like cleaned and greased fairly regularly? Usually a "noise" other than one that it intended to make, is a sign that something is wrong, and it is best looked at sooner rather than later, if left as you have found out to your cost, it will break and cost you, and these things never happen at a convenient time. I know someone who ignored an oil warning light on his Audi A4, because it had plenty of oil in, it cost him about ÂŁ3k when the engine let go, it would have cost him a lot less to have a new oil pump fitted!

Cheers...........Howard

Reply to electric rolling shutter not working ..and making noise in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net