Discuss Electric shower pull switch isolator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, my neighbour has had to change his electric shower (6kw) pull switch (32A) 3 times in 4yrs. Apart from it possibly being poor quality switches he,s replacing, I was wondering if there is any reason not to leave the pull switch isolator in the "on" position. Thanks

I have never seen a 32A ceiling pull switch. Generally 45A or 50A for shower switches.
The most common cause of these burning out is poor termination causing a loose connection. There can be many reasons for this.
I fit the Crabtree 50A switch as it gives the best termination opportunities as opposed to plate type switches.

There is nothing wrong with leaving it on all the time.

Yes you are correct, it is a 45A. My problem is, it,s me that has fitted the last two for him, although he supplies them ! There has been no sign of bad connections either time. But thanks for answering my core question.

Heavy load Vs Cheap products = burned out

I have seen this on cheap immersion timers etc

Infact I just changed 2 immersion timers for 2 different people , neither timer lasted more than 18 months

Have installed Timeguard now but not cheap at £30 a pop

Are you sure the shower is 6kw and not 9kw..
What make of isolator have you used?
Did you inspect the inside of the shower unit when you replaced the isolator?

Yes, the shower is 6kw(6. something perhaps) can,t quite remember. What difference would it make if it was 9kw ?
Did not inspect inside of shower unit, why would this be necessary ?

1. As mentioned, make sure the switch is a decent quality.

2. Assuming the cables are stranded, after tightening the connections, wait a few minutes and re-tighten. Any loose connections are likely to overheat.

3. Some people use this isolator switch to turn the shower on/off, which can lead to premature failure. Leave this isolator on, and turn the shower on/off at the shower unit.

Hi, my neighbour has had to change his electric shower (6kw) pull switch (32A) 3 times in 4yrs. Apart from it possibly being poor quality switches he,s replacing, I was wondering if there is any reason not to leave the pull switch isolator in the "on" position. Thanks
I leave mine OFF and operate the shower via the controls on the shower, I NEVER SWITCH THE PULL CORD ON LOAD. turn shower Off via controls and isolate via the pull cord.

1. As mentioned, make sure the switch is a decent quality.

2. Assuming the cables are stranded, after tightening the connections, wait a few minutes and re-tighten. Any loose connections are likely to overheat.

3. Some people use this isolator switch to turn the shower on/off, which can lead to premature failure. Leave this isolator on, and turn the shower on/off at the shower unit.
Thanks SJD, points 2 and 3 have been adhered to, but think my neighbour has skimped on point 1. I wish I had checked the make of it, but I know it only cost him £8 !

When you’ve replaced the faulty pull cord, did you make sure the exposed cables ends were ‘clean’?

Yes, this would be preferable, but I,m at the age now I only do tiddly jobs !

Borrow the home owner your hammer and chisel and get them to smash out a chase for you , you then go back later and just put the cables in and connect up the new switch...

Reply to Electric shower pull switch isolator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock