Discuss Electric shower pull switch isolator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Still wondering what Charlie,s points were ?
Still wondering what Charlie,s points were ?
Whilst I don't want to steal Charlie's thunder, but the point he is making is a valid one, the higher the KW of the shower the bigger the spark should there be a faulty connection, basivc Ohms Law I = P/V 6000/230=26 Amps whereas 9000/230=39Amps
The other points I'll leave to Charlie but I'm sure you get the gist of what Charlie
said cuz I 'm nice like that, shut up TEL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst I don't want to steal Charlie's thunder, but the point he is making is a valid one, the higher the KW of the shower the bigger the spark should there be a faulty connection, basivc Ohms Law I = P/V 6000/230=26 Amps whereas 9000/230=39Amps
The other points I'll leave to Charlie but I'm sure you get the gist of what Charlie
said cuz I 'm nice like that, shut up TEL.
Yes, but if the switch is rated to take the load, it should be fine ?

If I went to a job where a shower was up to a 4th isolator in as many years and I knew my previous connections were good then I would also inspect the shower and iland test it for any problems.. especially if the shower is only 25 amps

Yes, think that,s a basic, no offence.
No offence taken. But seen a few thermally damaged cables reconnected causing the terminals etc to fail again. Going back to ‘good wood’, includes the cable that feels stiff, not just ‘clean’.

If I went to a job where a shower was up to a 4th isolator in as many years and I knew my previous connections were good then I would also inspect the shower and iland test it for any problems.. especially if the shower is only 25 amps
It was "only" 3 isolators, and I don,t know what could cause an isolator to burn out due to something being wrong in the shower unit ? How could that affect the switch contacts ?

It was not switched off under flc
It was "only" 3 isolators, and I don,t know what could cause an isolator to burn out due to something being wrong in the shower unit ? How could that affect the switch contacts ?
Not doubting your sincerity Clem, but how do you know that? if there is a duff connection then contact burnout will occur. Bite the bullet and fit a decent wall isolator

You said you had replaced it 3 times in 4 years??
Inside shower; faulty components, low ir, reverse polarity could all affect the isolator

Not doubting your sincerity Clem, but how do you know that? if there is a duff connection then contact burnout will occur. Bite the bullet and fit a decent wall isolator
Just can,t quite work out Pete, how a duff connection can cause switch contacts to burn out. Surely a bad cable connection would not contribute to excess current going through the switch contacts ? But totally agree a wall mounted isolator is much better than a fiddly pull switch.
You said you had replaced it 3 times in 4 years??
Inside shower; faulty components, low ir, reverse polarity could all affect the isolator
Don,t want to go on and on Charlie about this stupid switch but can,t quite work out/get to grips with how these things would cause an increase in current through the switch contacts(only thing likely to burn out switch) but thanks all for input.

Just can,t quite work out Pete, how a duff connection can cause switch contacts to burn out. Surely a bad cable connection would not contribute to excess current going through the switch contacts ? But totally agree a wall mounted isolator is much better than a fiddly pull switch.

Don,t want to go on and on Charlie about this stupid switch but can,t quite work out/get to grips with how these things would cause an increase in current through the switch contacts(only thing likely to burn out switch) but thanks all for input.
A maintenance spark not knowing what a bad connection can cause Gawd help us

Oh right? but it can cause arching, heat, high resistance joints, therefore burnt contacts, therefore failure, of circuit therefore failure of switch therefore non functioning equipment ergo shower.

Or do you agree with Charlie that things like reversed polarity, low IR, can cause an increase in fault current ?
Oh right? but it can cause arching, heat, high resistance joints, therefore burnt contacts, therefore failure, of circuit therefore failure of switch therefore non functioning equipment ergo shower.
Yes it can cause arcing,heat, high resistance joints all right but all this would be at the bad connection not through the switch contacts, where are you actually coming from ?

So there has been 4 isolators in 4 years..
Your connections in isolators have been ok..
You seem to be happy with the rating of the isolators..
So I would be now checking out the shower..
How do you know for certain they haven’t been switching it on/off under load?
I would test shower element and whatnot

So there has been 4 isolators in 4 years..
Your connections in isolators have been ok..
You seem to be happy with the rating of the isolators..
So I would be now checking out the shower..
How do you know for certain they haven’t been switching it on/off under load?
I would test shower element and whatnot
Check out the shower for what ?

Reply to Electric shower pull switch isolator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock