Discuss Electric shower recommendation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A friend of mine has an electric shower that is playing up. She said it is 11kW but I know the largest MCB in her house is 40A so something is wrong either way. Replacing cable, etc, is not really on so I am wondering what sort of suggestions folk have for an electric shower in the 9.2kW region that works with low-ish water pressures and keeps a sensibly constant temperature.

TL;DR Best shower at 9.2kW

There's no such thing as a 'best' elwctruc shower in my opinion, just bad ones and OK ones.

Triton are cheap and disposable, expect maybe 2 years lifespan.

MIRA are much better and do some thermostatically controlled options rather than the usual 'guess my temperature today' approach.

Aqualisa make some of the best digital shower pumps so I assume their elwctruc showers will be better than most.

There's no such thing as a 'best' elwctruc shower in my opinion, just bad ones and OK ones.
Sadly I suspected that :(

MIRA are much better and do some thermostatically controlled options rather than the usual 'guess my temperature today' approach.

Aqualisa make some of the best digital shower pumps so I assume their elwctruc showers will be better than most.
I had an Aqualisa shower for many years, but simply gravity driven, so no idea of the electric options they offer.

Might look at MIRA, as some sort of thermostatic control would be the obvious (but not common) starting point here.

I had an Aqualisa with digital processor and it was excellent for the 15 years i used it. If you take out a service plan your worries are over, OK, it did need a couple of repairs in that time, but always carried out promptly, including a complete new processor box, free of charge, no quibble. That one was fed from a combo-bolier. The previous one was for a low-pressure feed, and incorporated a pump...it gave me absolutely no trouble for the 5 years I had it. That's just my experience, but i really do think their after-sales service is worth the money....they're not cheap, but the peace of mind is worth the dosh, imho.
The service chap, Chris, covered the whole of Scotland I think, certainly a huge area, and he was a real pleasure to deal with, which makes all the difference.

Unfortunately the Aqualisa quartz electric shower fails on reliability. It is a great shower in terms of use though.
I have had to replace or repair many that are just over a couple of years old with apparently normal use. A very common fault is the thing cuts out almost immediately, the culprit being the small printed circuit in the cover. Unfortunately Aqualisa only supply two parts, the complete cover or the 'engine'. Each part is predictably around half the cost of a new shower. My experience with them is after two-three years you'll likely have a big repair bill.

Mira Sport for me every time.
I have the 10.8 areoboost jobbie at home and I love it.

The airboost is quite pleasant whether it's worth the money or not is subjective but I would pay the extra again.

Would not have Aqualisa near me, and good luck getting spare parts for most of them, they often range from the cover to the engine, and nothing in between. Also know of numerous failures in their digital showers, a lot of time the processor box has gone faulty and it's anything but a cheap item to replace.
[automerge]1596668184[/automerge]
Mira Sport for me every time.
I have the 10.8 areoboost jobbie at home and I love it.

The airboost is quite pleasant whether it's worth the money or not is subjective but I would pay the extra again.
If it had to be an electric shower, the Mira Sport Airboost 10.8kW is by far the best I have come across. The 9kW version is pretty poor though.

Last edited:
If it had to be an electric shower, the Mira Sport Airboost 10.8kW is by far the best I have come across. The 9kW version is pretty poor though.
Is it poor due to limit flow?

It seems surprising that 20% difference would be great but I don't know hence the original question!

For me cheap and cheerful Triton T80 range.

Only problem I've ever had with them is when some "fool" redo his bathroom, reconnected shower only to find it wasn't functioning properly, so bought a replacement after all previous shower was 10years. Replacement was same model to match existing pipe work.

Only to find original shower was fine, but problem was down to do some debris getting into water feed pipe to shower ("fool" hadn't covered it properly when tiling)...BTW this goes no further than us, as far as my good lady is concerned previous shower had packed in.

the womenfolk of this nation seem to think that if it's broke, buy new. lost count of the number of things i've repaired at negligible cost. e.g. start button on fumble dryer stopped. on investigation, it's a momentary switch. actual button presses on the switch on the controll panel pcb. it relies on bending a fragile bit of plastic as a "spring" return. 2 bits of cut down cable tie and some gorilla glue made stronger than BEKO's feeble attempt.

Last two have been Triton. First was over 10 year old when we moved house. Was still working well when we left. I fitted a Triton when we moved to the house we are in now over 10 years ago and it lasted until end of last year. Fitted another Triton to replace it. As you can probably guess I'm happy with Triton.

the womenfolk of this nation seem to think that if it's broke, buy new. lost count of the number of things i've repaired at negligible cost. e.g. start button on fumble dryer stopped. on investigation, it's a momentary switch. actual button presses on the switch on the controll panel pcb. it relies on bending a fragile bit of plastic as a "spring" return. 2 bits of cut down cable tie and some gorilla glue made stronger than BEKO's feeble attempt.
For some reason when the door handle on our oven broke (also held glass panel in place), my good lady wasn't impressed with my cable tie solution. :( I eventually gave in 2 years later an bought a new oven. :)

My cheapest and probable not my best temporary solution, was when our washing machine broke down over a bank holiday weekend - brushes had worn so much that springs didn't enough length in them to make good contact. So wedged in some paper between brushes and spring, machine worked fine until I could source replacement brushes - days before innerweb and shops were shut on Sundays and bank holidays. ?

A few years later, same machine, main drum bearing had gone. Good lady wanted a new machine, I was like no, this machine had given us many years of good service. I'll just get a new bearing for it, only for me to shatter the cast mount trying to 'remove' the bearing, for being over zealous with the hammer, no amount of duct tape was going to hold/put that back together. Of course I told my wife machine had just fallen apart (poor build quality) and it was nothing to do with me.....the look of disgust on her face would suggest she didn't believe me. :rolleyes:

For some reason when the door handle on our oven broke (also held glass panel in place), my good lady wasn't impressed with my cable tie solution. :( I eventually gave in 2 years later an bought a new oven. :)

My cheapest and probable not my best temporary solution, was when our washing machine broke down over a bank holiday weekend - brushes had worn so much that springs didn't enough length in them to make good contact. So wedged in some paper between brushes and spring, machine worked fine until I could source replacement brushes - days before innerweb and shops were shut on Sundays and bank holidays. ?

A few years later, same machine, main drum bearing had gone. Good lady wanted a new machine, I was like no, this machine had given us many years of good service. I'll just get a new bearing for it, only for me to shatter the cast mount trying to 'remove' the bearing, for being over zealous with the hammer, no amount of duct tape was going to hold/put that back together. Of course I told my wife machine had just fallen apart (poor build quality) and it was nothing to do with me.....the look of disgust on her face would suggest she didn't believe me. :rolleyes:
you should have told her that the machine broke because she washed her knickers every month instead of twice a year, :p :p

Reply to Electric shower recommendation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock