• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Electric shower trips after 5 minutes in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Reaction score
Hi

I've seen a thread on here (which is what brought me to this forum) where someone had an issue much like my daughter has. The shower works fine for a few minutes, but if she's washing her hair and takes a little longer than usual, the shower trips the MCB.

Is there an electrician on here from Swansea who would be able to check whether the MCB is faulty, or determine the cause? Or maybe you can recommend an electrician who's helped you in the area.

Thank you
Bernhard

Hi Bernhard, welcome to the forums.

Swansea is a little outside my normal area as I'm based between Newport and Cardiff, but if she'd prefer a lady electrician I could attend.

Few questions for you though....

Is it a rented property?
How long has this been happening? If it's not been happening long, what changed? (Has she suddenly started using a more powerful setting? Has the shower been replaced?)
Can you have her take a picture of the consumer unit so you can post it here? Same goes for the shower unit, and if it has one on the outside, the ratings plate/sticker.

shower trips after 5 mins. is a bonus. gets them teenage daughters out of it soonest. saves on water as well.

OP: @telectrix has a very good point. Loads of parents would pay to have something installed but you have it for free.... :)

I've tried a few times now and failed to start a conversation with @SparkyChick so here's what I wrote...

Hi SparkyChick

I thought I posted this conversation yesterday but obviously not! Technology!!!

It's quite a relief to find a woman who could deal with the angry pixies in my daughter's house.

House situation: She's not renting, she's just bought it with her brother (not living there) and she has two female student lodgers. They've only just moved in, but during the time my wife and I were working there to make it liveable, we used the shower without it tripping. It seems to only trip if they use it for longer than a short shower.

Is the MCB something I could change as a first attempt to resolve it, or does that require a certification of some sort? If not, I realise it's a long way for you to go so maybe you could recommend someone if you're not going to be over that way some time soon?

I've asked her for some photos, but here are some of the shower that I took during the time we were working there. It looks like a TRITON "Cara"? I've added a photo of the breaker box (no idea what the official term is). It's the 30A switch in the left most position numbered 6 that trips when they use the shower for a while.

nYZFwzScDjf69DMl8L6C7-kly092NqvhK97Ekd6dWZLD3x_5Rw808D_x8isSvNdMYX_OhxYta19mlHRHhdpV70M-T3vDi1M6ZPBhHWLO3hTPlfKaP34lgW4zaHXjoItWERpbSAqoqzBMF4cGcGG_M_fIN-tg9AVdZ7vWgjAL2HZDNX_3mTxgBnR9rSpcelhUBDZAFWzEL4VNe_b4VFBTp5r0Q4fO200qsGFGeNGv2HvtFRy0ryJFv3qUHHmU20agTo-u9K9lZpbxUdP2hNJW4RdJHGcJML4HnC-XXGyqmOfmJAwSk_weK52RfDD4gRJ42xjUdSmBwaMuKs5qzF8Sv5qv2XqbV_aWnOi_9w7ma9w8eNyYEM_hO9niH1hBfbpTMLc4lkgdr9g15AjU8SgyDFtfRH_GfVfaoOz8lHAiK23wcjOkix1Fa7rhsgvnksZlfe_ZFh-CshXOlKAlrejDdQ8DHarG7NgQ0SmwXPOqv7anh9p483gOas4SFHPS6Kt_pPEi5znKjLuEK6FD0K7VgxUFoFDXqHfPhm6xKqTYuttAwhwoj93WO2P1IY1QDchZvnMEEnOjHWgfJTUvQZZhcmrmEXwiheHsn9RMJp6IeliOQi21BlkFtQRvjxnNHPCY2VOF8VdgAIV9m6QfqFwRCYceDPPfE4CdfZeRrsigeOuWHDPuOlvwL1Fftg=w566-h900-no

VHT7fB3JTNonUIyjo5BRqOfitYuHdfb8H5PU3km4W-aHgqj0z8QtUNTBa_cBKLIuYIZwAUVaDi8NFWU5WOwgwNstUSq1oFeQqQW9GdoGBav6ql0DD_FX6oBM6jGEV9Iht4wvfJsxqyLhPboTQu6gki5UrfzTaXhtcdJG4cpMJAxAUNk-1cYaqTQCb2d0BgPes0INEScEzO20qoJHb5ZtlYcQCQoMcqQtotZlmD6Z2Y0ZcbPoXPbKjbHNtCF1w6DPzgJrlFLnis5GEwHll1AcvFoFpEuzBLclWxdGMHYRewB0i_4_CFrKvSpFypURU-Ldwo21VIvBNYpNZZBdyudpruEZYCcwV15pADJQRazZgf68pvWWdPAi6ufPjFzYsERzS20HsoGAVgRbGFpvAA3BkSlawVH9CG2K9pP5gAcZhY83hIRrZp1zyFIEVgrREfbB46GemZ0MXnprNOmfzESVWxhOeMvMja5FeSPNNwMFBXJBGzsnawOscJPCnnKeBu98E2Nat2O4E4UyF7XBJRpCrIm3CriEt39Ra7vr_M_5pgOf9bUKtNRsfgD6dNWUpFDs3IngvtXp8t9ZrSjzWPX1mbX0PUri-DA_BZ9fGa9OHPc2zD9g03UAaCxKKbQKNXjaszbA3YX05He9_ADIxg1XRce9__akpBB-BuDcqHCIGCqVOl8xKE-89zdeEw=w1425-h651-no

Thank you again for the response on the forum thread.
Bernie

Last edited:
So, looking at the Cara on Tritons website, it appears it's available in 3 flavours... 8.5kW, 9.5kW and 10.5kW.

The best case is it's an 8.5kW unit, but even that will run at around 36A on full load.

Whilst a 30A breaker will take this for quite some time, it should eventually trip, but over time the breaker will suffer the effects and will begin to trip earlier.

If it's 9.5kW unit, it's 39A and a 10.5kW unit would be 44A. That's assuming a supply voltage of 240v (if it's more than that, the current drawn will be slightly higher).

My guess is, it's been upgraded without consideration of the supply.

So in my view you have two options... change the shower unit for a less powerful one or upgrade the supply to one that can handle it (if it's a 9.5kW unit I'd be inclined to use 10mm cable on a 40A breaker). The unfortunate thing is, getting a new breaker for that board (I won't fit second hand ones) is going to be tricky at best, so I would install a separate little consumer unit (such as this:- British General 5-Module 1-Way Populated Shower Consumer Unit - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/british-general-5-module-1-way-populated-shower-consumer-unit/1336j) and run a new supply cable and isolator.

Without seeing the job, the layout etc. (for cable routing) is impossible to give an accurate quote, but half a day plus materials wouldn't be too far wide of the mark.

Sent you a PM with more detail on pricing.

@Bernhard Hofmann ,

I've just tried to send you a private message but am unable to. I suspect your profile settings are configured so you don't receive private messages from people.

Send me an email to 'christina at sparkychick dot uk' and I'll send you some indicative pricing.

@Bernhard Hofmann ,

I've just tried to send you a private message but am unable to. I suspect your profile settings are configured so you don't receive private messages from people.

Send me an email to 'christina at sparkychick dot uk' and I'll send you some indicative pricing.
Now the above post indicates why Ladies make good electricians, as well as posting with some really long words that some Males may not understand:p:D:):tongue:

:D@Bernhard Hofmann have your daughter look underneath the shower wall unit. There should be a label with the power rating on it.

@SparkyChick I see the RCD on there is 100mA, so the existing shower isn’t properly protected.
That needs sorting, especially as it’s a rented property.

Looks like a cosmetic job done on the bathroom ahead of sale, without considering the consequences. I’d be interested in seeing the installation certificate for that work :):D:D

Last edited:

Reply to Electric shower trips after 5 minutes in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net