Discuss Electric sockets tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lweisrick

DIY
Reaction score
My electric sockets keep tripping, this happens every hour or so after flicking the trip switch. This happens even when nothing is plugged in at all and the sockets are even switched off, I've done nothing to disturb the wires and taken all the sockets off to check for damp and loose connections and all fine, just don't know what the problem is

That is poor service.
If you had asked him to find the fault, then he should have found the fault.

Can you post a pic of your consumer unit?

Already have pal, and he plugged this socket into each plug and said all was fine on the sockets, is there another way to check before ripping up all the floor boards
you need an electrician with a brain. not the one that said all is OK, when it obviously is not.

sounds like he just plugged in a socket and see. he might make a good employee for british Gas.

Best I can do, did I say it takes about an hour or so after I swith it back on for it to trip again, even when all appliances are not plugged in

Attachments

• Electric sockets tripping IMG_20200904_192134 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200904_192134.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Electric sockets tripping IMG_20200904_192107 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20200904_192107.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 97
If one of those mcbs are tripping you have a problem. It is obviously intermittent but whatever the problem, it is generating enough fault current to make it trip. Do you have central heating on that circuit.

Can’t read the labels, it’s a long shot but, do you have an immersion heater?
If so, turn it off at the switch next to the hot water tank.

But this really needs fault finding by a real electrician with experience in faults.

Even if it’s intermittent then it’s going to have a IR that’s pretty low on one of those circuits. If it trips every hour, I recon a decent spark could find it within a hour through methodical testing.
[automerge]1599246392[/automerge]
Got any outside lights off the socket circuit?

Even if it’s intermittent then it’s going to have a IR that’s pretty low on one of those circuits. If it trips every hour, I recon a decent spark could find it within a hour through methodical testing.
[automerge]1599246392[/automerge]
Got any outside lights off the socket circuit?
Yes he definitely needs a competent spark to fault find, like the guys have said turn off immersion heater. The element is high probability of faults if you have one. Water in outside lights. Also extension leads they are one of the main culprits for intermittent faults

To clarify, although there is a label mentioning RCD testing proecdure on the board, there are no RCDs. The breaker that is tripping is an MCB, equivalent to a fuse. For it to trip there must be either an overload (e.g. too many appliances) or a short-circuit (e.g. wires touching together). If everything is unplugged and there is no undiscovered 'herbal laboratory' in your loft that the circuit is powering, then there is most likely a damaged cable that is intermittently shorting. Unlike an RCD trip caused by modest leakage to earth, the heavy current required to trip an MCB makes the fault a potential fire risk due to arcing and overheating. You should not keep resetting the MCB; the fault must be found and rectified even if the MCB stops tripping as it will otherwise remain a risk.

Anyone who looks for the cause of an MCB trip using a socket tester isn't an electrician.

If it is a properly working 32A MCB for your sockets tripping in an hour or so that manes either a constant 40A or thereabouts is going astray, or occasionally something is shorting out

Both are serious issues that should be found and fixed by someone competent (not who you got earlier!).

When you close the breaker, does the electricity meter start showing a lot more power being consumed (dial rotating quickly, or LED flashing more rapidly) within a minute or two?

When did this start to happen?
[automerge]1599311892[/automerge]
Given the nature of the brand of that box I would not be surprised to find the MCB itself is faulty. So I suppose the cooker is on that same circuit? if so did you switch it off as well. Any sneaky sockets you forgot about in the garage?

If you do get an electrician, you must expect to see him dragging some wires out of the box and doing some tests to check the wiring for shorts. He may find something which will then lead him to go around the sockets splitting the wires to assist him/her to narrow it down. Fault finding is time consuming and therefore expensive. I think a decent spark should take no more that a couple of hours at most, costing £70-100. Then there will be the remedy which may mean replacing a part of your socket circuit, again a couple of hours plus mats. So say around £200 tops I guess to sort it worst case scenario! Might be something simple in which case a call out fee, hope your is the latter.

Reply to Electric sockets tripping in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock