Discuss ELECTRIC TRIPPING in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

it sounds baffling.

the only thing I can think of is, the rcd extension lead might have a faulty earth, i.e. it is not connected correctly or wire is broken.

this would allow the machine to run without tripping the rcd at the distribution board if there was a live to earth or a neutral to earth fault within the machine.

If this is the case, the extension lead could be causing a dangerous fault to be undetected.

please avoid using the machine in this manner just in case.

Also, ask the electrician to test your rcd extension lead whilst he/she is on site.

it sounds baffling.

the only thing I can think of is, the rcd extension lead might have a faulty earth, i.e. it is not connected correctly or wire is broken.

this would allow the machine to run without tripping the rcd at the distribution board if there was a live to earth or a neutral to earth fault within the machine.

If this is the case, the extension lead could be causing a dangerous fault to be undetected.

please avoid using the machine in this manner just in case.

Also, ask the electrician to test your rcd extension lead whilst he/she is on site.
Wow, that's a fantastic bit of advice - 2 fold - re the washing machine and the lead. Thank you very much.

it fits the description of the fault, also your fault finding seems to match up with the symtoms of what I have described.

however, it is a remote diagnostic and there could be other reasons, it is by no means a definitive diagnosis.

I and quite a few others will be looking forward to hearing what the electrician finds tomorrow.

p.s. you never mentioned who was coming to look at it, please remember there are a lot of good electricians on the forum that provide free advice, we also have to make some money during the day so it is always worth putting up a post requesting an electrician when you need one.

You wont get me because I don't do domestic work, but i am quite sure that a couple of other members are almost as good as I am!!!!

Please let us know what is found.

it fits the description of the fault, also your fault finding seems to match up with the symtoms of what I have described.

however, it is a remote diagnostic and there could be other reasons, it is by no means a definitive diagnosis.

I and quite a few others will be looking forward to hearing what the electrician finds tomorrow.

p.s. you never mentioned who was coming to look at it, please remember there are a lot of good electricians on the forum that provide free advice, we also have to make some money during the day so it is always worth putting up a post requesting an electrician when you need one.

You wont get me because I don't do domestic work, but i am quite sure that a couple of other members are almost as good as I am!!!!

Ha Ha James - before I read your reply today I was going to ask you if you could come and help - you're the electrical expert everyone should use. You were spot on. And I didn't know you could find electricians through this forum.

The WM had a live earth leak (think I've got that right) and the 'safety' RCD lead had no earth (don't know what that means either). First thing he said was - 'don't use that WM'. Appliances are not his area anymore, but it used to be, having 30 years experience, so he kindly looked at the WM too and found a faulty capacitor. He'll be back to move the socket so from now on, although it wasn't implicated, at least I can ditch the adapter too.

Thanks again from a safe household.

Ha Ha James - before I read your reply today I was going to ask you if you could come and help - you're the electrical expert everyone should use. You were spot on. And I didn't know you could find electricians through this forum.

The WM had a live earth leak (think I've got that right) and the 'safety' RCD lead had no earth (don't know what that means either). First thing he said was - 'don't use that WM'. Appliances are not his area anymore, but it used to be, having 30 years experience, so he kindly looked at the WM too and found a faulty capacitor. He'll be back to move the socket so from now on, although it wasn't implicated, at least I can ditch the adapter too.

Glad you got it sorted.

I am no more of an expert than a lot of the guys and girls on here.
Sounds like you have found a good spark there, not all of us are great at fault finding.

Worth considering that in any Comercial premises , extension leads and appliances need to be regularly tested to ensure they are safe for continued use.

It is not a requirement in people’s own households but your experience has highlighted just how easy it is to have a dangerous (extension lead) being used and although unlikley it is possible that it is used with an appliance that also has a fault that together could lead to a nasty injury.

Hi - that means it’s not safe to use and it should be cut up.
Glad it’s sorted for you now :) .

Gone in the bin! Thanks
[automerge]1581760687[/automerge]
Glad you got it sorted.

I am no more of an expert than a lot of the guys and girls on here.
Sounds like you have found a good spark there, not all of us are great at fault finding.

Worth considering that in any Comercial premises , extension leads and appliances need to be regularly tested to ensure they are safe for continued use.

It is not a requirement in people’s own households but your experience has highlighted just how easy it is to have a dangerous (extension lead) being used and although unlikley it is possible that it is used with an appliance that also has a fault that together could lead to a nasty injury.

Actually he said I'd done the hard work in finding the fault (sort of - all I knew was what was causing the problem) - he is brilliant. But what he also said was, domestic householders should test their electrics every month with the test button. I repeated ' every month' and he said yes. Not many of us will, but at least if we do it once a year its better than never.

Gone in the bin! Thanks
[automerge]1581760687[/automerge]

Actually he said I'd done the hard work in finding the fault (sort of - all I knew was what was causing the problem) - he is brilliant. But what he also said was, domestic householders should test their electrics every month with the test button. I repeated ' every month' and he said yes. Not many of us will, but at least if we do it once a year its better than never.
IET recommend every 6 months, used to be 3 months. 6 months is logicalas you can test when you put the clocks back/forward. you need to reset the clocks anyway after the power is interrupted. personally, i test ours once a month

hi i recently had a call similar to yours. had washing machine for ages then all of a sudden would trip rcd. normally when the element inside wm would start heating up water or 5 min into fast spin etc. i told them to get appliance engineer first. inside wm there is a part called a mains filter .that helps the voltage for the motor to run better and keep it smooth. if that goes faulty then can trip rcd. i would get electrican after as dont want to pay twice if money is tight, if electrican sees everything is ok.

hi i recently had a call similar to yours. had washing machine for ages then all of a sudden would trip rcd. normally when the element inside wm would start heating up water or 5 min into fast spin etc. i told them to get appliance engineer first. inside wm there is a part called a mains filter .that helps the voltage for the motor to run better and keep it smooth. if that goes faulty then can trip rcd. i would get electrican after as dont want to pay twice if money is tight, if electrican sees everything is ok.
Oh, that's really interesting. Yes, its a real dilemma about whether to call an electrician or an appliance person. I have a new capacitor now, (£35), plus the call out from the elctrician, so I'm already a bit down the line on cost and still no guarantee of working. But I want the socket moving anyway - reckoned I wouldn't want to put the machine back knowing it was on an adapter - that was done in haste on removal day some years ago and long forgotten. I'll keep your reply to hand in case it doesn't solve it - and to be fair, although the electrican said the capacitor was faulty and he was 75% sure it was causing the problem, it doesn't seem to fit the symptoms, but we'll see. Presumably I still needed a new capacitor if he said it was faulty - maybe I have more than one fault!

Reply to ELECTRIC TRIPPING in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock