Discuss Electric vehicle charging qualification in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

bigspark17

-
Arms
Reaction score
Looking to get trained/qualified on the EV charging point installations.
To those of you who have gone down this route which way did you go about it, is it worth getting training by one of the manufacturers or the training centres like nic?

If you will be installing them and claiming the £500 subsidy for business or homeowners then you will need a qualification and manufactureres approval for each type, this can be the one day niceic 'course' all theory but if you can fit a CU and a rod then you dont really need practical as such.
you will also need manufacturers approval for the olev approval. this involves a free one day session from say Rolec, EVBOX etc.. each manufacturer has its own one day thing. just contact them to find out more.

If you will not be concerned with the olev stuff then its really a case of whether you want to pay for the course or just do a one day free thing. I personally think the city and guilds ev course is considerably over priced. yes you get to play with one but you are better off buying a used ev charger off ebay for less and put it on your own or a family members house and you will learn just as much by reading the iet guide whilst doing it as youd get on the course.
I did the one day NICEIC course in bristol and didnt learn a great deal, it was more a means to an end. if i get a chance in the week i will scan the course book into pdf for you and send it over. its due to be updated but youll be able to see what it involves.

but you are better off buying a used ev charger off ebay for less and put it on your own or a family members house and you will learn just as much by reading the iet guide whilst doing it as youd get on the course.
A faultless approach. TBH, how many of us passed our CPS with a bit of a no-pressure home install.

Looking to get trained/qualified on the EV charging point installations.
To those of you who have gone down this route which way did you go about it, is it worth getting training by one of the manufacturers or the training centres like nic?

Hi BigSpark, Did you decide what training route to take? I want to get qualified and am unsure of going down the NICEIC or C&G route. NICEIC assured me that the outcome is the same and I would still qualify for OLEV etc.
I am unsure as to why I would want to pay double to do 2 days on C&G if I am getting the same result. Am I missing something?
Sorry to resurrect an old thread guys....
Cheers
Matt

Can't really see what all the fuss is about with charging point qualifications. I you are an Electrician and understand the pointers to VC points then carry on. This is just another way of the IET, NICEIC and all the other scams to take your hard earned, when you probably know more than Sir tutoring the courses, come on Guys get real and smell the Profits without giving it to the faceless. They'll be running courses on how to thread conduit next.

I'm booked in to do the "City and Guilds Level 3 Award in Domestic, Commercial & Industrial Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Installation Course (C&G 2919-01)" next month.

I would always try and stick with C&G where possible as they are the most recognised in our industry.

My company is paying for me to do this luckily as we might have a large number of chargers going in soon that will require installation and maintenance.

I'm booked in to do the "City and Guilds Level 3 Award in Domestic, Commercial & Industrial Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Installation Course (C&G 2919-01)" next month.

I would always try and stick with C&G where possible as they are the most recognised in our industry.

My company is paying for me to do this luckily as we might have a large number of chargers going in soon that will require installation and maintenance.
As long as it's your Firm paying the go for it fill yer boots Mate

Can't really see what all the fuss is about with charging point qualifications. I you are an Electrician and understand the pointers to VC points then carry on. This is just another way of the IET, NICEIC and all the other scams to take your hard earned, when you probably know more than Sir tutoring the courses, come on Guys get real and smell the Profits without giving it to the faceless. They'll be running courses on how to thread conduit next.
I know what you mean Pete. I just like to keep my finger on the pulse and stay on top of what's current (excuse the pun).
There's a few of them popping up on houses where I am, and there's very much a "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality round here. The tesla seems to have replaced the Mercedes and well someone has got to fit the bloody things. May as well be me. Seems like more fun than bashing out bloody knockout boxes anyhoo.
I can't decide whether it's just a fad or whether it's the way forward. I can totally see the argument for hydrogen cell cars but "those that be" seem to be putting as much into EV as they did into diesel and look how many of those crap heaps we are stuck with at the minute.

Would be great if you coukd review this. Looking to do the C&G qual by the end of the year.

There is good info here, especially the pricing/grant position highlighted by
JK-Electrical

Reply to Electric vehicle charging qualification in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock