Discuss electrical box...does this exist? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I need a particular kind of box and I'm not sure it exists (because of code I guess):
It's a box that will go over wiring connections that have already been made.(wires have been twisted together and wirenuts are on)
I want this so I don't have to dissassemble all the connections,put the wiring through holes in the box and reassemble everything.so does this exist? what's it called?

I need a particular kind of box and I'm not sure it exists (because of code I guess):
It's a box that will go over wiring connections that have already been made.(wires have been twisted together and wirenuts are on)
I want this so I don't have to dissassemble all the connections,put the wiring through holes in the box and reassemble everything.so does this exist? what's it called?
how many cables/connections?

Can you post a picture of what you are trying to box in, cover etc.

Loads out there...
here's a cheap and nasty type

here's a better one

but these are designed primarily for use with the correct connectors, not wire-nuts, however there's loads out there depending on exactly what you are trying to achieve

The OP is in the USA - wire nuts ARE the correct connectors! Note that the NEC has certain stipulations about junction box types but they are different from ours. There are all sorts of ways to kludge this with a plastic box assembled around the connections, but they probably won't meet code. Do it once, do it right.

Fair enough, Lucien...I know what you are saying, however I feel you may have misconstrued my comment.

I know that wire nuts are the "correct" connectors in the USA, in that they are in common usage. The Wago box is designed for use with the "correct" connectors, ie the Wago ones, which is what I meant. The OP wanted a box to put connectors in, didn't mention strain relief or MF.
Wire nuts are also common in Spain, just stuffed in a JB. It's common to see them put in a JB where one of the entries has been slotted to take them without undoing them and re-doing them. I'm not a fan.

Analog they don’t make a box with the back cut out of it. Are you an electrician and if not you need to find one. We have all types of boxes but them wires are hot and are they not in a box? If not that is a violation of the NEC and an experienced electrician could fix you up quickly. Who ever did that installation was not a licensed electrician, all splices shall be made in a sizable box, we don’t even know how many splices you have so we can’t even tell you what size box you need because of box fill calculations that have to be done

i suggest a wagobox, simplybecause OP would not need to disturb existing connections, but not sure if it meets NEC regulations.

Yes they make such a thing-

This is a standard j box as used by the Australian electricians.
If you are wanting a box to use to encase an existing wiring junction without having to undo the wires, then this is the thing.

you simply put the base plate behind the wires,
then you cut horseshoe shaped holes in the appropriate sides
to suit the wiring pattern
Then the cover goes over that and is screwed into place

Reply to electrical box...does this exist? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock