Discuss Electrical box sinkers in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,
Does anyone use electrical box sinkers for sds drills, or know if they are any good ??
I need to chase out for approx 20 double sockets in old plaster/brickwork, and wondered if it is worth investing in one of these, rather than drill and bolster them all out.
Any feedback would be much appreciated, before i go and waste £75.

I bought one from screw fix and it,s a pile of crap , it is useless on tough brick , only any good on thermal block but that stuff is easy by hand , your better off by hand or using a small grinder (lots of dust) if you can IMO.

Ste:)

I second what stevie h says. You just can't beat the tooth tool in front of the hammer.

If you ever think of using a box sinker in an old vicky house, then forget about it .... unless you want half the render of the wall to come down ad well. Just something I unfortunatley experienced whilst on a job.

They just don't warrant the price you pay for them IMO.

I use the Armeg sinkers.
Again best used on thermalite/breeze blocks & they do save time when sinking multiple boxes. The chase bit is fine on same blocks & does work well on most bricks.
In older buildings with sand/lime mortar you'll have problems with the brick work moving when using the sds sinkers/chase tools.
Engineering bricks, dont even bother getting the sinkers out the van.

Scutch chisle & lump hammer. ;)

If you want to destroy lots of wall, knoxk the plaster off the other side of the wall and cause lots of rubble to fly in all directions they can't be beat!

Scutch and lump for me. If you have the chaser out, then that will do a good job of getting the box mostly cut out. It's an art that requires practice, and you do have to plaster afterwards, but because of the extractor it's minimal dust.

Only work well in breeze block walls. Take too long to cut out in brick. Quicker with SDS drill and chisel. Total waste of money.

Total agreement with what's gone before.

Bought one, tried it, gave up with it, got shot of it (or was that the first wife?)

Seriously a lump hammer and boulster or my old faithful Makita hammer drill chisel (getting good with it now)

eye dont bother with em meself either, i use a brick hammer for chopping out in thermalite and cordless chissler drill on the more stubborn.

There you go, just send half the cost of what you were going to buy to the "Buy the Forum a Drink Fund" c/o either Bane or me (to go with the recipes: we will then be able to recommend the right aperatif to drink with them) ;):D:cool:

Thanks very much guys for your advice, i was very close to buying one and quite glad i didnt now after what you have told me. Im so glad i discovered this site, as it is so valuable for a newly qualified spark like myself. Its great to get promt replies from such honest, helpful, knowlegeable people. Thanks once again !

Thanks very much guys for your advice, i was very close to buying one and quite glad i didnt now after what you have told me. Im so glad i discovered this site, as it is so valuable for a newly qualified spark like myself. Its great to get promt replies from such honest, helpful, knowlegeable people. Thanks once again !

honest,helpful.knowlegeable people?

i hate creeps !

sorry the reply on this is a bit late but if you grind the outside dimensions of the box with a decent diamond blade it will get you within down to about 22mm. Use a decent chisel bit on a variable speed sds and you can get flat backed chases on all but the crumbliest brick (with a bit of practise!!). happy sculpting

It's an art that requires practice, and you do have to plaster afterwards, but because of the extractor it's minimal dust.

By 'stitch drilling' and using a sharp half inch cold chisel, some masking tape and a sheet of newspaper I can convert a single socket box to a double without even leaving the wallpaper disturbed around the new 2gang plate. Just got to be careful is all. Agree there's an art to it though, funny how you get to know just where to give a particular brick a strategic clout to achieve maximal material removal for the least amount of heft and damage.

If on site where the wall has to be plastered and finished, like Tony I found it easy to blast away with a 12mm SDS bit then let the mate square it off. Gives them the practice for domestics.

Last edited by a moderator:
when im in a domestic and they got nice wallpaper i cut the box shpe out with a stanley knife aswell so theres no risk of it ripping the paper that is seen

Reply to Electrical box sinkers in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock