Discuss Electrical Cables on hot plumbing pipes in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Recently had an extension done. Noticed electrician had run mains electrical cables right on to the hot feed from the boiler which gets very hot. Is this a safety issue? Can the insulation stand the heat for hours on end?..

Found similar in my own house...
Sacked electrician, I had to lift a floorboard...cable wrapped round the copper pipe feeding first radiator from the boiler...managed to slide some split insulation over the pipe, separating it from the cable...
believe me, this was a deliberate act of sabotage!

Hours on end will be fine, it's not an immediate safety issue. Most cables are rated to 60 degrees celsius and most domestic hot water systems barely reach this temperature.

Over years or decades the cable insulation will be made brittle by the heat which will be a problem. As mentioned above a short length of insulation on the hot pipe where the cables cross it would be advisable.

Electrical Cables on hot plumbing pipes 1000 - EletriciansForums.net

True, Marvo...but trust me, that copper pipe was already frying the cable...it's a high-output combi and the pipes are far too hot to touch without burning yourself...
No, he intended a failure, and by pure chance the equally crappy joiner had left a floorboard proud, so I lifted it to sort it and that's when i saw his "artistry"...
This wasn't a casual close cable, this was a cable deliberately wrapped spirally round the heating pipe 3 times...

I've come across PVC cables in contact with steam pipes (115 Celsius) in the past and whilst the insulation had become very brown in colour and completely brittle and crispy over a year or two it hadn't failed or caused an electrical fault. I'd consider it similar to old VIR wiring where the insulation physically degrades but it wouldn't usually cause a fault unless it's disturbed. I don't think it would be an effective way to cause a deliberate fault.

Yes Dave, we had "words" previously. He refused to follow my requests, my diagrams, my written instructions...I came home each night to a mess and had to undo it all and reiterate what I wanted where, and why...
Eventually, I sacked him and placed all the stuff myself.

Most PVC cables are designed to operate at a constant 70c.

However most heating systems are set for 75c.

Very bad practice to run together. Sparky needs to come back and rectify. Separation of services and mutual detrimental effect spring to mind.

Yeah, not easily done. In really awkward position behind new Kitchen but your right, I’m not happy with it..and I’m really concerned about Safety risk going forward..

In a new build extension, there's no excuse for it.

and in response to Pirate, I'm sure a man of your calibre can make safe, cut the cable, unwind from the pipe and reconnect in a suitably placed MF jointbox.

In a new build extension, there's no excuse for it.

and in response to Pirate, I'm sure a man of your calibre can make safe, cut the cable, unwind from the pipe and reconnect in a suitably placed MF jointbox.
ensuring safe isolation of the electricity in the cable and empty the pipes water out. drowning can kill.

Yes littlespark, I can do that fix...if I remove the flooring under the staircase, the carpet and underfelt and the ply over the original floorboards!
Basically, I was making good the loose floorboard when I saw the problem, but the wound-round cable was 6 feet away under a new staircase, it was 11pm and the carpetfitters were due at 8am the following morning, so Mrs Pirate vetoed the disruption, so I slid lengths of pipe insulation along the affected pipe with a stick...luckily there was just enough slack in the cable for the insulation to slide under it.
Not too pleased with the wetpants either as that pipe should have been insulated anyway.
and that's why I do DIY

If it was a rewire could of been the plumber shoving his pipes under the floor where un clipped cables had been fished across. Experienced that before.

Reply to Electrical Cables on hot plumbing pipes in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock