Discuss Electrical Certificates for Extension and Rewire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have had an extension and complete rewire of my house. Towards the end of the build the builder declared bankruptcy (long story). He has since disappeared and I have no communication with him.

I am now trying gain building regulations completion but I don't have any electrical certificates for the rewire or new extension, which building control need.

I don't know the electrician he used so can't contact him to issue the certificates. What are my options here if any? Building control want notification that the installation has been carried out correctly.

Can I get another electrician to carry out an EICR and then notify building control?

Any help appreciated.

The process you need to follow is regularisation. As @Andy78 says, talk to building control and find out what they will accept for this. I've done this here in Wales and the electrician needed to be a member of a scheme, produce an EICR which is then sent to building control.

I suspect there may be a planning charge for this.

I have had an extension and complete rewire of my house. Towards the end of the build the builder declared bankruptcy (long story). He has since disappeared and I have no communication with him.

I am now trying gain building regulations completion but I don't have any electrical certificates for the rewire or new extension, which building control need.

I don't know the electrician he used so can't contact him to issue the certificates. What are my options here if any? Building control want notification that the installation has been carried out correctly.

Can I get another electrician to carry out an EICR and then notify building control?
probably people not paying on time!

Why don't people ask who the subcontractors are?

If I don't meet the client and give them my card, I leave one by their kettle so they know who I am!

Definitely need to contact building control and get in writing what exactly they want to see or accept to get building regs passed and certificated. This might seem a daft question but did you take photographs of each stage of the build? If you get an electrician to carry out an eicr it would not be the same as the electrician who carried out the work and issued a cert and building control notification. However if you have supporting evidence of cable routes and wiring installation methods ie pictures that could be submitted to building control along with eicr that might go along way to getting approval.
I feel for you, as I have just done a kitchen extension and have been asked to sign it off for building control. I didn’t do any of the original wiring in the extension and won’t sign it off as part of my work. I have told the customer that I am happy to issue a certificate and part p approval but it will only be for the work carried out by myself. I ended up running a new ring main, and radial circuits into a service cupboard and wired every appliance through isolators off of those new circuits. That way I have kept my installation separate from what was done by the other sparky. I can now issue him with both a certificate and part p approval on the new board and wiring carried out by myself.

Short of the Building control wanting to rip your installation to bits,a eicr is going to be as good as they can expect

If they are like any of the BC bods I have ever met,its the piece of paper that absolves them of responsibility that is important to them
Now whether that piece of paper is a eic or a eicr will likely not interest most inspectors,many would not know the difference anyway

Your first step is to establish, in writing, what your building control officer will accept................................. don't believe everything you read on the internet.
Speak to the building control officer explain the situation in most cases they can see that you are trying to do the right thing, they may know of this builder and know the electrical contractor they use (unless in-house) do you still owe the builder any money still?

Reply to Electrical Certificates for Extension and Rewire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock