Discuss Electrical connection tips needed. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RyanP

Hello. My name is Ryan and I'm an electrical apprentice working in the UK and I need some advice and/or tips on avoiding loose connections.

Recently I have noticed one or two of my cable connections popped loose when it came to the testing and inspection part of a project and was wondering if anyone had any useful pointers to avoid this happening in future.

I always connect my cables as tight as possible and double over my cables where necessary but I still seem to get the odd problem here and there.

Keep in mind I am VERY new to the electrical trade having only started my apprenticeship 2 or 3 weeks ago so ANY tips no matter how small are very much appreciated.
I understand apprentices can sometimes be more of a burden than a help to electricians so becoming more confident and independent with my own connections will help work move faster and keep my colleges off my back :)

Am I worried too much about over tightening? Am I not stripping enough copper back? Give me your thoughts they are much appreciated :)

First of all,well done on being aware of the need for good connections
At your stage of training,that quality is much more important than how you perform practically

The best person to advize on the connections you are making is your tutor or mentor spark after inspecting them

i normally nip them up,then re-check again a few minutes later were possible. i find the thicker the cable for more likley the copper compresses and the connection comes loose.

Good luck.

Hi,
As Dansk says.
Do that, as copper can and will continue to compress a little after you have initially tightened the connection. Also giving them a little tug will also show if you have nipped up the cable not exactly square onto the doubled over part i.e. if the cable is slightly off centre as it were and the screw has tightened onto the narrow edge rather than the doubled edge. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,
Lofty.

Hi,
Just another thought. At our last NIC visit the inspector was pushing the issue of torque settings on things like MCB screws. So you could invest in a set of torque drivers and torque down to the manufacturers recommended settings. Having said though when I asked about a set they were about £100 !!!!

Cheers,
Lofty

I tin where I can with a gas soldering pen(when I have the option)....crimp terminals are also good if deemed suitable for each particular application...a bit of heat shrink sleeve is also quite good to make a tidy job...

When making a connection using solid core on a switch or socket which is to be pushed back against the backbox, I always make an "P" loop so that as you push it back the loop closes but keeps the cable sticking out of the terminal at 90 degrees. Also, after you have pushed it back, the cable will have moved slightly in the terminals so pull it forward slightly and re-tighten. 9 times out of 10 you will get a little more out of the screw.

Also, always use bootlace ferrules on stranded :)

Hi Ryan, I read an article on this subject in a recent ESC magazine. They did a trial fitting 25mm tails into consumer units, it was all about the roll out of smart meters and how bigger cables are more difficult to terminate effectively. The results were quite shocking, very few of the connections were sound after a short period of time. They tried sqaushing the cable ends and tightly twisting with varying sucess. What it says to me is the manufacturers should be using constant pressure terminals such as you find in a maintenance free junction box. See if you can dig out the article online, you might find it interesting.

Best of luck

Stuart

Can I just ask what testing and inspection project you're undergoing at 2-3 weeks into your apprenticeship?

And to answer your question, I tend to give them a little pull and wiggle to see if they feel loose, and have a look inside the terminal when I can to check I haven't tightened the terminal screw onto the PVC.

I find using the corret size screwdriver is a huge help. I use a 3/4mm tip on switches, and 5mm on sockets.

You need to tighten them so that the screw digs into the copper, but doesn't go all the way through.

Reply to Electrical connection tips needed. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net