Discuss Electrical courses in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guy's,
Yesterday I read a post a from a person who said he throws applications in the bin because they have paid to do these electricians courses that are advertised. All night this has been stewing in my head. My first thought was how 'SMUG' he seamed about this. My problem is, I don't think he/she understands what some people sacrifice to get the money together to do these courses! For instance in my case, I am currently working in Afghanistan as a fuels Manager. This means I have now spent the last 4 month away from my wife and my children. All this to get the money together. I completed Domestic Installation & 16th edition back in 2004. I worked for a company doing maintenance on houses. This company put me off the trade. I now have paid to upgrade my 16th edition to 17th, Inspection & test also part p. We are being told this is an acceptable way to get in the trade. I have a family to provide for so cant take 4 years off to go to collage. I am trying to find work as an electricians mate so as to get some experience. How am i going to do this if there are people out there thinking the same way. We are just trying to get into the trade the wright way by getting qualifications. It seams we are now being peanalised for this. What do you say?

Not sure what is the problem here. The course you have described is perfect (???) for you to be able to join a scheme and become a domestic installer and then work and certify your own work (and others soon if the building regulations change). The only drawback to this is that the training centres (???) don't tell you that most domestic installers are self employed and that there are wick loads of them about.

If your trying to seek employment on the books, then I'm afraid I also would be one of the not bother with your CV brigade. This is not a slur on you personally, but the chances are your application will be one of XXXX amount, and there will be a percentage of these that will be of timed served lads, who have experience, and far superior qualifications to you, so really it is not much of a decision to move on from you.

I do feel sorry for you, you have sacrificed a lot for a dream that is not going in reality come true for you. Let me put it this way to you, if you were on an operating table, or on trial for murder and you had a choice, a fully trained with years of experience doctor or Barrister, or someone who was a fuels manager and did a intensive course and is now qualified to operate or defend you...........who would you choose.

I'm sorry it may sound harsh, I don't want to be, but you like so many others were tucked up. Yes you can get into the industry via the domestic installer route, but there are literally 1000s of them now all going for the same small cake, and with so many experienced and better trained guys also looking for books on/agency work you will never get a look in

Well i guess i best see if i still have time to get my money back then! Thankyou malcolmsanford for giving me the truth. I will have to see if there are any other careers available.

What Malc sais is bang on.
There is no demand for more sparkys in the uk at the mo and of the jobs that are going priority will go to, in roughly this order
1 Time served fully qualified experienced sparkys
2 Freshly apprenticed sparkys
3 Part/full qualified with some experience
4 Part/full qualified with no experience
5 Unqualified with experience
6 5 week coursers with no experience

So I am afraid you are at the back of a very long queue my freind. Nothing personal but thats the way it is. I constantly have people begging me to give them work for little or no pay. All qualified (either full, part or Electrical Trainee), none experienced.
This includes 3 people who are freinds of mine and constant letters/emails that I receive from strangers.

wether he puts them in the bin or keeps them on file,as you can imagine the amount of cv's that get posted to companies most but the big ones can afford to reply to them all,even a thanks but no thanks could cost the company quite a bit if they replied to them all,and as has been said your at the back of a very long queue.

Well i guess i best see if i still have time to get my money back then! Thankyou malcolmsanford for giving me the truth. I will have to see if there are any other careers available.

Stick with what you've just paid out for, you won't have any more success in any other trade or profession with a fast track qualification.

I've been in Industrial / commercial Electrical for 45 years, I couldn't get a job in domestic work tomorrow either, not even as a mate.

Stick with what you've just paid out for, you won't have any more success in any other trade or profession with a fast track qualification.

I've been in Industrial / commercial Electrical for 45 years, I couldn't get a job in domestic work tomorrow either, not even as a mate.

Would you really want to go back to domestic tho after doing commercial?? I know I wouldn't

I've managed to get my money back. I dont want another trade. I have always just wanted to be an electrician. Well, since leaving the RAF in 2004. Thanks anyway guys. GUTTED SO BAD.

ged if youve got the qualifications you say youve obviously worked hard for them and good on you its a tough world out there only the tough survive take no notice of people if your determined to become an electrician then stick at it theres people in the trade that havnt got the quals youve got stick at it ged good luck mate

there is still hope for you to become a spark. You will have to apply for jobs as an electricians mate/labourer. There you can gain experience, and put yourself through night school to get the proper electricians qualifications. This willbe a lot more rewarding in the long run. To be honest youmight even find thatbyou earn better money as a sparks mate, than as a domestic self employed spark. Especially as at the start, your pricing will probably be short of the mark, due to your lack of experience, and the need to get work in.

Good luck mate, and dont leave the forum, as there is lots of decent knowledgable blokes on here who you can learn from.

your never to old to re educate and before any one asks im a time served electrician but we shouldnt be putting people off getting into the trade especially if there prepared to do it the right wayl

Cheers guys. I wasnt expecting to work straight away. I was actually looking for work as an electricians mate so i could learn. Got to admit, night school sounds a bloody good idea. I suppose the guys have to tell me how it really is. Its always helpful to get both sides of the story. I'm really greatful for the idea of night school. Wont be leaving now.

Would you really want to go back to domestic tho after doing commercial?? I know I wouldn't

No, I was just pointing out with all the experience and qualifications I've got, I don't have the current experience or knowledge to Domestic.
I've never been employed in domestic, although did do a few domestic installs in my earlier years, (in the days of 3.029 and 7.029 and rewireable fuse in 4 fuse Wylex units, non of your RCD stuff.).
I've done plenty of commercial installs and do commercial electrical maintenance, along with Gas, water, heating, mechanical and a host of other stuff.

I wouldn't employ me doing domestic...

Whatever you were due to spend on the courses, save it and put it towards night school which will probably be cheaper than the Electrical Trainee courses.

What has been said above is true. These short courses basically only give you the option of becoming a self employed domestic electrician. If this is all you want then go for it but it annoys me when these companies sell the course on the basis of you being qualified when its done and the electrical world is your oyster. Its far from it.

I too wouldnt entertain a CV from a Electrical Trainee without experience. I would generally only consider a time served person. Even with agencies now you have to be careful what you get. Always insist on seeing the CVs of the men and also I try and arrange a meeting/interview as there are that many "qualified" sparks that have no experience and a 5 week course behind them.

This is an interesting thread for me as I'm in a similar position to gedster. i.e. doing a different job but wanting to change. With a family to support an apprenticeship just isn't viable so the only way in is one of these short courses. The opinions in this thread don't necessarily make for good reading when you're in our position - not electrically qualified but wanting/needing a way to get into the industry - but the better informed you are, the more chance you have of making a good decision.

FWIW I still don't really know what to do for the best. I'm currently working as a lorry driver, which involves getting up before 4:00am most mornings (sometimes earlier) and working 55-60+ hours a week, all for around £22k a year! :sad3:

mate just one thing from your origional post, that will save you money. If you get your 17th edition you dont need part P, that will save you a few quid. 17th Edition is a better exam than part p, if you dont beleive me call the NICEIC they will tell you the same.

Reply to Electrical courses in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock