Discuss Electrical Engineer allowed to do Electrical work? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SarahJennifer

hi,m
Have been reading in some other posts and the Electrical Safety Act 2002 that Electrical Engineers are able to carry out household electrical works? IS this true or have I misread the info? Also if this is the case, ie that electrical work can be carried out by an engineer, how does one get a cert of compliance.

Thanks

Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum.

What you have asked is a very common question and ill do my best to give an understandable answer.

Anyone can do domestic electrical work provided it is carried out in accordance with the current regulations (BS7671), which can be hard to achieve if they are not familiar with them.

If that person is not registered then they must inform their local LABC of the works before commencing and pay a fee of anything from £100+ for each dwelling worked in.

LABC will then instruct someone to carry out the inspections and any testing at various stages of the works, in accordance with the regs.

Once they are satisfied that everything complies, and the work is complete, you will then (amongst other things) get a certificate of completion from them.

However, it may prove more cost effective to employ a registered electrician to carry out the works as they will be able to notify LABC on your behalf as part of the cost, and be up to date with all the current regs.

Jason, am a bit concerned with the "employ a registered Electrician " to do the testing on behalf of Sarah, as we have been told by our Niecc Inspector that in no way can test anybody elses work other than our own. We are always asked by other none reg sparks to do so , but decline the offer as its not worth getting chewed for. Perhaps i will raise a thread on it?

Jason, am a bit concerned with the "employ a registered Electrician " to do the testing on behalf of Sarah, as we have been told by our Niecc Inspector that in no way can test anybody elses work other than our own. We are always asked by other none reg sparks to do so , but decline the offer as its not worth getting chewed for. Perhaps i will raise a thread on it?

Johnny, the LABC will employ someone to do the testing not the 'contractor'.

It is down to the LABC to ensure this, not the unregistered contractor.

Sorry, i may not have made it very clear.

The short answer is NO.

The system is setup as a very closed shop and doesn't seem to allow for any exemptions for professionally qualified engineers - effectively, the only way to obtain a licence is via an apprenticeship.

In my view, the system is well overdue for an overhaul.

The short answer is NO.

The system is setup as a very closed shop and doesn't seem to allow for any exemptions for professionally qualified engineers - effectively, the only way to obtain a licence is via an apprenticeship.

In my view, the system is well overdue for an overhaul.

Our system here is a little different from the US, as you are able to trade provided you can prove yourself competent which can be achieved a number of ways.

Although the end result is still the same.

Reply to Electrical Engineer allowed to do Electrical work? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock