Discuss Electrical engineer/ electrical engineer technician / electrician in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Piratebill

Hi Ive got a 4 year electrical engineering apprenticeship with a national company starting in September. Ive assumed ill be an electrical engineer technician because the college work only requires day release while to be an electrical engineer requires a degree. Im just wondering how does an electrical engineering technician compare to that of an electrician? Both roles require the same amount of time studying, but is there more scope for jobs in one role than the other? I see on the JIB rates technician is £14 an hour while electrician is £12. As an electrical engineer technician would i be classed under the JIB rates? And if i wanted to become an electrician down the road is it a small step between the two roles or would it require another couple of years studying/working? many thanks if you can help clear it up in my mind

JIB Approved sparks are currently on £16.07 an hour, Techs are on £17 odd... An electrical engineer is more the design aspect of the installation, electricians carry out the installation. Personally, the best route i'd advise is become an Electrician, gain experiance installing. Then, if you still want to, take your qualifications further and do a degree to become an electrical engineer. As some on the electrical engineers that design the projects i have worked on lack a serious amount of any pratical experience. Sometimes i doubt their knowledge full stop.

The title Engineer should really only be used by Chartered Engineers (re your specific point in the title about Electrical Engineer). This isn't law however anyone worth their salt in recruitment/employment land would be looking for this. It's therefore worth checking out the IET path to Chartered membership of the UK Engineering Council.

the difference between an electrical engineer and electrical engineering technician? an engineering technician washes his hands BEFORE going to the toilet.:smilielol5:

Reply to Electrical engineer/ electrical engineer technician / electrician in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net