Discuss Electrical engineer looking for practical knowledge in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a 26 year old Lighting Engineer with electrical background. As i started my career as a lighting engineer my practical knowledge on electrical aspects related to Industries, building design, Rail traction etc is minimal. I would like to learn more about the same as i am looking for a career change.

Many Thanks for accepting me in electricians forum.

I am looking forward for learning as well as sharing my experience.

Regards,
Sunesha Sunny

I have one to start with.
It is related to the inrush current and the cable size. I am aware of the fact that a cable would burn off depending on the current flowing through it in a duration of time. Do you have any references to understand the inrush current of different appliances and the preferred cable size depending on the inrush current . My concern is mostly related to LED luminaries.

You wouldn't normally size a cable according to inrush current, cables that are correctly sized according to their installation method and length etc can handle momentary inrush currents without overheating. Inrush current is only likely to have a bearing on your choice of protective device for that circuit ie you may need a C curve MCB to accomodate inrush as long as required disconnect times can still be met.

You wouldn't normally size a cable according to inrush current, cables that are correctly sized according to their installation method and length etc can handle momentary inrush currents without overheating. Inrush current is only likely to have a bearing on your choice of protective device for that circuit ie you may need a C curve MCB to accomodate inrush as long as required disconnect times can still be met.

Hi Marvo,

Many Thanks for your reply, so i would probably have to look through the MCB characteristic curves to determine the type of MCB that could withstand the specified inrush current without nuisance tripping. Do you know how the impact would be for fuses? Is the principle same and would require consultation with fuse characteristics?

Regards,
Sunesha

All fuse types have their own characteristics, not only that but a variation can be evident depending on the manufacturer although the I assume our BS7671 tables are based to lower limit of the independent regulations of device tolerence that manufacturers must comply to.
Most manufacturers do have online pdf sources for their devices and crucially they often give examples of stacked inductive loads ie.. how many lamps of a certain type can be switch on together through a given rated OCPD, you not only have to consider the inrush of 1 device but multiple inrushes if you are switch a bank of inductive lights on.
This can get very complex very quickly but its good to use a manufacterer that provides all these details as it can save a lot of calculation in the design stage.

Hi All,

Could someone help me to understand the how do we lay cables in a trunking system. Its space factor, and standard trunk sizes available.
How do we take the transition from underground ducts to the trunking system.

Regards,
Sunesha

Reply to Electrical engineer looking for practical knowledge in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock