• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss electrical engineer or electrician? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

piratebillybob

Hi

Ive got an electrical engineering apprenticeship \O/

im just wondering if i would be able to call myself an electrician or would i only be able to call myself an electrical engineer?

What do you call yourself? Can people who havent done the AM2 call themselves electricians?

I cant help but feel because I wont be doing the big bad AM2 and the 2391, im always going to be regarded as inferior even though I do industrial electrics for a living.

Many thanks if you could contribute anything positive :D

RWJ

8,400+ day wonder
Electrician's Arms
I call my self RWJ lololol

Don't think people would know what an Electrical Engineer is????

A

Adam W

I was under the impression that an electrical engineer was a more highly regarded profession than an electrician.
That said I wouldn't consider the title of 'electrical engineer' to automatically imply the qualifications of an electrician, just as I wouldn't expect anyone with a degree in IT or electronics to assume they can just assume an electrician's role at the drop of a hat.

Marnik

Regular EF Member
Not even NIC,NAPIT etc can make up their mind as to what is a qualified electrician!They recognise what they call "Competent Persons" So If i was you,seeing you work in the industry anyway, call yourselve what the hell you like.

Archy Styrigg

Forum Mentor
I have an Electrical Engineering qualification, but I only say I'm a Technician because I don't do any serious design work, or sit in office.

P

piratebillybob

the electrician at work who is on the electrician pay grade did an electrical engineering qualification, and hes never done an exam (AM2 or otherwise) because the NVQ level 3 is all assessment based.

and the tech hasnt any electrical qualifications at all but is one of the most knowledgable guys youll ever meet

At the end of my apprenticeship I do want my qualification and standard to be recognised as "qualified and competent" by either the niceic, napit or the iet. Otherwise ild feel like ive spent 4 years not doing anything significant

P

piratebillybob

not too sure yet, im doing performing engineering operations NVQ level 2 at the moment. but in years 3 and 4 i want to do something that will help me become an instrument tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.