SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Electrical Engineer v/s Electrical Contractor in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JS_Electric

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Which one is the better career option for an electrical engineering student? Working in any electrical company as an engineer or Starting your own company as a contractor?

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Hi JS,

you'll have realised that this is a predominantly UK members forum, so what your situation is like in the States may be totally different, but here in the UK my personal advice would be to work within another company. Maybe then after a few years of experience you could branch out.

gaining vital experience with a company before setting of on your own

S

SirKit Breaker

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would say that a lot depends on the demand in your part of the world for Electricians. If you can confidently assume that there is more work to go around than there are companies to do it all, then starting your own would give you better rewards eventually. If not then gaining experience is a must in an employed position. Working for yourself has many rewards, but not knowing what the legislation etc is in the states, i wouldnt know how much time you would need to factor in the things we need to do once the job is completed, and these things in the UK are plentyful and time consuming. You have to do a days work, then come home and do all the paperwork and so on.

Cheers...........Howard

E

Engineer54

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would say that a lot depends on the demand in your part of the world for Electricians. If you can confidently assume that there is more work to go around than there are companies to do it all, then starting your own would give you better rewards eventually. If not then gaining experience is a must in an employed position. Working for yourself has many rewards, but not knowing what the legislation etc is in the states, i wouldnt know how much time you would need to factor in the things we need to do once the job is completed, and these things in the UK are plentyful and time consuming. You have to do a days work, then come home and do all the paperwork and so on.

Cheers...........Howard
I think the OP is talking about being an Engineer, rather than an electrician.
To be a fully fledged qualified Engineer you need experience, without it, you cannot gain your IET Chartered status (UK) or, in the case of the States full Registered membership of the IEEE...

Reply to Electrical Engineer v/s Electrical Contractor in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
Top Bottom