Discuss Electrical Engineering HNC Info in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

AGordon2008

Anyone here already done their HNC in Electrical Engineering and wish to shed some light on what the course consists of? Im currently still an apprentice but my employer has offered me the opportunity to do the part time course ,at evenings etc. After my times out i'm planning to work offshore if everything goes well , would this course be wothwhile for this line of work?

Cheers Tony.

Hi Tony,

Im in the same situation as yourself in the respect of the offer of a HNC, although I have chose to start a HND next year, its an extra year but its deffinatly worth it (Maybe you could try and apply for the same?).

Also, heres a link to HNC/D engineering at the university I plan to attend. Although for more specific course information you should contact the college/univeristy you plan to attend. So just use this link as a rough guide. University of Wales, Newport - Courses

I think a HNC/HND would be useful in any line of engineering work, if it wasnt of any use, nobody would have took the course? Although I have spoken to an number of engineering managers, and they feel that HNC is becoming the standard qualification in the industrial sector for new engineering staff. Although other people with more experiance could correct me here?

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I went to 2 colleges for different courses HNC and foundation degree got the choice off both not sure what 1 to take.Would like to do full BENG (hons) degree but feel stepping stone approach is better for me.
Seems like a good idea to get the extra qauls to take advantage as soon as the recession is over:)

Hello,
I would get it done straight away, its almost necessary most places you go now, (my uncle recruits and says all onc cv's get put straight in bin if theres hnc cv's there)
I completed it last year and it is murder whilst your there but deffinatly needed if you want a start offshore (staff anyway).
The Course consists of maths, science, PLC'S, Project etc and is fairly hard part time (was for me anyway) but you can re-sit all exams etc so go for it!

So is HND/HNC pretty much a requisite for offshore work then or are time served electricians/approved electricians in with a shout who have been the City & Guilds Route?

Also from what sort of an electrical background would likely candidates come from and what does offshore work consist of?

Last edited:
A HNC is classed as pretty much standard for industrial work these days, when i done it i thought it was something special but its the norm now.
Depending on shortages etc you may be in for a chance without one but i would say you need it.
The best background for offshore would be industrial, ideally chemical industry however i have a friend who came purely from powerstations and hes getting on just fine.
If you are wanting to work offshore i would say you deffinatly need your COMP'EX, Survival and HNC.

Depending how desperate you are they may take you without a survival and put you through it themselves but this is very rare.

Hi i did my HND a few years back now but it is well worth doing. If you get a chance to do a loaded HNC do it. This means doing tweleve units instead of 10 over the first two years and leaves you only needing 4 more units to get your HND. Benifits you can afford to fail one unit and still get your HNC and if you pass them all the last year is allot easier.The project is the big part of the course so pick something your intersted in to do. More than pleased to give more information if needed.

Hi Tony,

Im in the same situation as yourself in the respect of the offer of a HNC, although I have chose to start a HND next year, its an extra year but its deffinatly worth it (Maybe you could try and apply for the same?).

Also, heres a link to HNC/D engineering at the university I plan to attend. Although for more specific course information you should contact the college/univeristy you plan to attend. So just use this link as a rough guide. University of Wales, Newport - Courses

I think a HNC/HND would be useful in any line of engineering work, if it wasnt of any use, nobody would have took the course? Although I have spoken to an number of engineering managers, and they feel that HNC is becoming the standard qualification in the industrial sector for new engineering staff. Although other people with more experiance could correct me here?

Tom
which degree is better/ higher and more desired in the electrical industry if i want to work onsite. I have a foreign degree which was assessed by NARIC once and i was given a BTEC HND/Foundation Degree Standard in Electrical Engineering and then again after I appealed I got for my qualification another certificate which says that my qualification is comparable to British Bachelor degree standard BEng in Electrical Engineering.
my simple question is: which one is more desirable and which qual should i put on my CV for onsite job. I am working as a spark at the moment and looking for something better within the industry. Please advice

Reply to Electrical Engineering HNC Info in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock