Discuss Electrical faceplate change regs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
Any you guys out there who are clued up maintenance eg faulty socket, sw etc change not new properties intalls in properties done around 1974 is there a requirement now that they be tested eg loop test, R1 +R2. insulation resistance test about 6 or 7 test in all for just one items seems really excessive to me for one item that may 10 to 15mins to do any info much appreciated, not got the latest edition to expensive for me to buy

brian

Are you saying you haven't got a copy of the wiring regs because you think they are too expensive??

What sort of electrical work do you do?

Are you saying you haven't got a copy of the wiring regs because you think they are too expensive??

What sort of electrical work do you do?
To righthe they are
Electrical faceplate change socket's only domestic social housing properties shower switch light fittings pendants batten holder etc etc

Strictly speaking ALL electrical work should be certificated. The items I think you are referring to would qualify for a minor works certificate. You would need to make certain measurements to complete a MWIC.
These measurements will confirm that the work you have Done is correct according to BS7671. And basically tell you that there isn’t a wire hanging out of the back of a socket because you didn’t do the job properly.

OR you could just change the socket, turn it on and plug in a hair dryer and see if it works.
which option do you think might be the right one.

Brian
Apart from not owning a copy of BS7671
You do realise working in Social Housing that you have a duty of care towards the Tenants !
So if anything goes wrong with the wiring you may have to answer a few questions !
Just an observation so don't take it personally

The folks here are giving you a hard time as it is obvious to everyone that if you are a practising electrician you simply must have a copy of the current regulations. Even if you are not doing design/new system installation, simply to cover your behind should anything go wrong. To put it in to perspective the (admittedly high) cost of the BS regs and all of the IET guidance notes, etc, is only about one months payment on a company van.

So what is you job, are you the site electrician, or a "handyman" who helps out, or a volunteer supporting folk in need, etc?

If all you are doing is a bit of routine maintenance, replacing the odd broken socket or switch, etc, you avoid all of the Part P requirements but you still have to ensure that what you do is safe. There is no getting out of that aspect.

So you may not be doing the full EICR style of test & report, and you may not be bringing an installation up to the latest standards, but you absolutely must be able to show that when you replaced something what you left was safe. That is beyond what work you actually did so you need to be able test to a basic standard and, if necessary, report to the landlord/owner any underlying safety problems that are outside of the scope of your work.

So even if you are only doing "handyman" work as a profession that means at the very least checking:
  • CPC continuity/impedance to light switches and sockets is acceptable
  • Polarity it correct.
  • Fitted fuse or MCB is appropriate
  • RCD trip on self-test button

Last edited:
It's not unusual for business customers to have their own additional requirements or spec for any work, not just electrical.
This can quite often be above and beyond whatever any Regs or Legislation requires.

Not only is it good practice it also covers them in the event of something going wrong as a result of the work.

So if your employer is asking you to do tests and record them, then they will have quoted to do so.
If you don't have the equipment, training or experience to do it then it's for you employer to sort it all out.

Reply to Electrical faceplate change regs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net