Discuss Electrical heater died on me - Workaround does it work? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hey there.
I got a question. My heater just died and the only real way to fix it is to get a new thermostat but sadly I cant find the modell at all.
Now my question is I got a workaround but before I do so id like to ask if it will work.
There are 2 cables going to the thermostat. One is going from the power source to the thermostat the one at the bottom and the second one is going from the button that turns on the heater at the top. Now to get rid of the thermostat and let the heater go full power I should remove the cable from the thermostat that goes to the powersource ( the one on the bottom) and connect it with the one that goes to the button just above him right? On the first picture there is the thermostat from behind the above is the one going to the button and the one below to the power source.
Another question would be if I cant open the clamps as they are tight as hell. Would it be okay to just tape them together with heat resistant tape for the time being?
For some context. The little screw that was meant to connect I think to the bi-metal broke from its holding it was a plastic thin thingy.

Attachments

• Electrical heater died on me - Workaround does it work? IMG_20220303_191757 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20220303_191757.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Electrical heater died on me - Workaround does it work? IMG_20220303_184159 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20220303_184159.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
The thermostat is a safety feature, and if you bypass it, you will likely start a fire…

Is that clear enough for you?

What is the make and model of the heater? Spare parts should still be available.

The thermostat is a safety feature, and if you bypass it, you will likely start a fire…

Is that clear enough for you?

What is the make and model of the heater? Spare parts should still be available.
very loud and clear :D Alright guess ill have to find a new one then. Now for my incompetent understanding can it run on more power than its made for? Its a 2000W heater and always had it on full power.
The modell is a Heller MAB 2012 12 ribs and 2000W 230V

Even If you always ran it at full power, on day someone will put a towel or similar on it and a fire will start. As LittleSpark says, dont even think about bypassing it. The unit should have an opperating temperature on it, if you lookabout on one of the Chinnese websites you might find one but make sure the operating temp is no higher than the old one. Get an electrician to check your work BEFORE you switch it on.

As above, this is dangerous in two ways:
1) taping together two push-on connectors as you suggest is not a viable way of making a good enough connection that can carry the current, and will likely generate heat or arc and melt the heat resistant tape. Then you have a dangling live wire inside a non working heater.
2) the element would run full power, which may result in the heater getting hotter than it is designed to. There is hopefully an over-temperature cutout or fusible link inside which will then turn off the heater. Back to square one!

You really need to find the correct replacement part, or buy a new heater!

Have you checked the thermostat is indeed gone?
There may be a thermal cutout somewhere that just needs reset.

There seems to be one style of oil radiator thermostat on sale in UK, claimed suitable for many makes of heater.
Might be worth checking if it would fit:
Plenty of offerings from China!
If it operates at 45 deg. it's likely safe for the application.

Electrical heater died on me - Workaround does it work? AA3A520D-2784-4A47-85F8-3EB9E026E2F0 - EletriciansForums.netElectrical heater died on me - Workaround does it work? C5159893-2247-4D8A-B813-650C577C531C - EletriciansForums.net

Eg:

Reply to Electrical heater died on me - Workaround does it work? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock