Discuss Electrical Input for Digital Piano in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ice_Mage

DIY
Reaction score
I just moved back from the USA with a digital grand piano. The sticker near the plug input has 130v so I was looking to install a transformer.

I opened up the lid and the transformer inside has the attached sticker so I assume its good to plug straight in but want to confirm with other individuals?

Thanks20200322_095100.jpg

It appears to be a centre tapped primary winding on the transformer, which if the label is 100% correct can be powered from both 120v (between the end points and the centre tap) or 220v (between the two end points with the centre tap disconnected).

But as it is currently wired for 120v, you should definitely not connect it to 220v as you'll blow it up. The internal wiring will need to be rejigged for it to work.

Definitely don't plug it in as-is. Bear in mind that although the transformer is rated for 120/240V, other line-voltage items such as the switch, power cable, fuse and any filter capacitors might not be. Different parts are sometimes fitted depending on the voltage for which the unit is configured during manufacture.

If all are OK for 230V, then as far as the transformer taps are concerned, it looks like the white lead is 120V and the red 240V, while the black is common to both voltages and contains the thermal cutout. If the red lead is currently insulated (e.g. terminated somewhere with no other cable connected, or sleeved over) it would be a matter of connecting red in place of white and insulating the white lead. If there is an internal fuse, it may need to be changed (to one of a lower current rating and suitable voltage rating.) For safety, the insulation of the appliance should be tested on completion of the work.

I would also then check for correct output from the transformer secondaries before use, in case all is not what it seems, e.g. if the label does not match the real colour code of the leads as is quite common. In fact, on the bench, I would validate the procedure before starting, by running it from 120V as-is and checking for 240V across red and black.

All in all, it might be easier and safer to get a small step-down transformer, as the load can't be very high. Just don't buy a firecracker from some unknown grey importer!

Reply to Electrical Input for Digital Piano in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net