Discuss Electrical Installation Books in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Tes369

-
Reaction score
Hello

I was going through some old books and I came across a gem.

* Modern Wiring Practice. By W.E. Steward and J. Watkins first published in 1952.

My dad did his apprenticeship with that book.

The version I have is a 1980's version it's been modernised since.

My dad worked on the houses of parliament when most of the black and white pictures where taken In that book. You can see them using copper conduit as thick as your thigh after wiring they buried it in the ground after painting it with Tar.

The conduit bender you see them using has a 8ft arm to be used by two men.

They are also bending 90° degree bends in galvanized conduit on their knees smaller conduit.

And the Pyro work you see in that book is incredible you won't find tradesmen like that anymore.

Worth a read if you can find it some nice pictures of some really old switch gear.

And alot of what's written in that book is still quite relevant.

Cheers

I tell apprentices sometimes when you see them 16 years hanging on the conduit bender that they used to bend conduit on their knees in the good olde days and they just laugh. :D

My old man says
" in my day there were no conduit benders it was a block of hickory with a 20mm hole in it and a 25mm and a pot of tallow"

"I remember rawlplug tools hit them turn 180° hit them again were no SDS drills in my day son"

"I remember when there was no unistrut it was all dexion in my day son"

" I probably could write your name in galv steel conduit".

:thumbsup: Normally one of those lol

Reply to Electrical Installation Books in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net