Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Electrical Installation Cert or Minor Works? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Andy M

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Got a bit bored of the old threads, so i thought i'd throw this into the cooking pot!

Recently i was asked to perform some very menial minor repairs to a property, despite the fact that i didn't consider that re-lamping and re-fixing loose accessories an "alteration or addition" i checked for the usual earthing and bonding. Surprisingly the bonding had been done, However i discovered that the main earth had never been connected!! It was a TT system with no 100mA rcd at the front end or earth electrode. also the "meter" tails from the box outside were a piece of 25mm 3 core SWA and where the "sparks" who had wired it had stripped it back and it wasn't double insulated at the meter. My guess was a PME sorry TN-C-S had been requested at the time but no one ever followed this up. The Consumer Units didn't bear the culprits name and no test results were available. I have since correctly terminated the SWA into 100mA rcd (insulated enclosure)and installed an earth stake. Now the burning question is have i altered the "tails" swa into a disribution circuit, so only need a minor works, or as with a mains swap do i issue an Electrical Installation Certificate?

Your Thoughts would be appreciated

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
E

EasyFox

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Got a bit bored of the old threads, so i thought i'd throw this into the cooking pot!

Recently i was asked to perform some very menial minor repairs to a property, despite the fact that i didn't consider that re-lamping and re-fixing loose accessories an "alteration or addition" i checked for the usual earthing and bonding. Surprisingly the bonding had been done, However i discovered that the main earth had never been connected!! It was a TT system with no 100mA rcd at the front end or earth electrode. also the "meter" tails from the box outside were a piece of 25mm 3 core SWA and where the "sparks" who had wired it had stripped it back and it wasn't double insulated at the meter. My guess was a PME sorry TN-C-S had been requested at the time but no one ever followed this up. The Consumer Units didn't bear the culprits name and no test results were available. I have since correctly terminated the SWA into 100mA rcd (insulated enclosure)and installed an earth stake. Now the burning question is have i altered the "tails" swa into a disribution circuit, so only need a minor works, or as with a mains swap do i issue an Electrical Installation Certificate?

Your Thoughts would be appreciated
An EIC for me as you have now added a 100mA rcd (s type hopefully) so have changed/relocated/added the mainswitch of the installation, so in effect making (as you say ) the tails from the rcd to cu a dist circuit.

But others may have a different take on it. :)

A

Andy M

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm afraid someone would say this, (i was trying to avoid another 3 page Certificate!) Out of interest how far would you go with the testing of the existing installation?

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

Reply to Electrical Installation Cert or Minor Works? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Top Bottom