Discuss Electrical installation certificate in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

flukey

-
Reaction score
just been to price a job and they had an eic from feb 2006 for work completed in kitchen.
under comments on existing installation it says
  1. side extension and garage wiring not to BS7671 but it was left connected and still in service :eek:
  2. some switched live conductors in lighting circuits have no phase colour sleeving
i was taught that before issuing an eic any defects had to be addressed or left disconnected so my question is can you in fact list irregularities on eic or is it another job for me to sort out :confused:

As that part of the installation, i assume, was not touched there is no need to bring that up to date if you are just altering the kitchen.

So

1. Depends on what is not to bs7671?
2. Lack of sleeving is not unsafe, however, it would have taken less time to put some on than writing it down!

To be honest, it sounds like they have gone OTT as most sparks wouldnt even bother checking that kind of thing if they were not even working on it.

morning mate with out getting an eic from my van and checking eic is only for the work it lists ie kitch and comments only on exsisting installation. it really depends how serious any defects are you cant force people to have work done. sleaving to switch wires is going to be hard to convince them it needs doing. non complyance with 7671 is only a number4 on pir anyway.

thanks for the replies ;)
the extension and garage are in a real state and definitely wont be connecting them up to my nice new cu :eek:
the lighting only needed a bit of sleeve at switch and fitting so surely should have been done as a matter of course instead or recording it :confused:
i take it i will have to sleeve all switch drops now ive changed cu :confused:

hi guys iv gotta go and install a new cousumer unit to a three bed semi its all been rewired just needs the c/u, apparantly theres no power to the property the person ordering the work reckons tht the electricty company wont come and put fuse untill the installation had been certified dont knw how true this is realy, if i had to supply eic with no power would i hav to record tabulated values based on tt - tns - tncs earth systems witch ever one it is, for ze zs pfc etc the only other way i knw to work out R1 + R2 VALUES is calculated usein circuit lenth X m/ohms/per metre value i dont realy think i could supply a cert to be honest cos i cant even test rscs??? any help would be great thanks

tht was rcds by the way my typin is dyer sorrys guys lol

Last edited by a moderator:
hi
connect the cu up and do all the dead testing, cont, ir, r1r2,etc make sure your bonds are connected when they come show them what you have done and the cirt and they should put the fuse in the main worry they have is ir tests because if there is a fault it could blow a fuse on their network

I have just done exactly this.

As Mark said, did all dead tests and recorded them.

A few days later, after supply was installed, powered up, loop tests, rcd tests.

Done.

yeah i'll hav to go bk and do all the live tests, i think i'll hav to put limitation on the lives tests wile theres no supply thn issue another cert wen theres a supply

you shouldnt need to sign off the dead tests just show them or leave them with a note sometimes they dont even want to look they just take your word its all ok just leave the live tests empty to fill in after

Indeed, you do not have to leave a finished cert for them to look at.

In most cases the person from the DNO that comes to look at the job, is not normally the person who does the connections.

Whenever i do installs i use a photocopied schedule of test results sheet from the EIC pad. This sheet i use on site.

You could also do this and show them if they ask.

Once the install in finished i write up the proper EIC with all the details and send it to the client.

cool i'll just do all the dead testin thn show the supply company if thy ask for it thn finish all the live tests wen hes gone thnks fellas ;-)

hi i was just wondering if i rewire just the upstairs light circuit on the eic do i tick the new installation or adition box on the cert???

thts for ya help

as im goin for me assesment very soon
im thinkin i mite go the elecsa route i did fancy nic but there way to expensive see wot happens in another 6months after i get some more work ;-)

Reply to Electrical installation certificate in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock