Discuss Electrical installation certificate in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

thts for ya help

as im goin for me assesment very soon
im thinkin i mite go the elecsa route i did fancy nic but there way to expensive see wot happens in another 6months after i get some more work ;-)
i am with nic but only because thats the name everyone knows and price is on par with others at £370 + vat unless you want to add periodics then its extortionate :eek:
i was going to go with napit but its only other sparks that seem to know who they are :rolleyes:

Hi Guys, just need some advice.

What is needed to sign off the electrical installation certificate, i have city and guilds level 3 in electrical installations, i didnt know if i need any particular certificates or qualifications to sign off a rewire? This is because i have just finshed a 3 bed rewire of a domestic property, i am self employed and, although i am confident in my testing ability, i didnt know if you needed anything for myself to put my signature on the sheet to sign the house off?

Please help.

Timbospark :confused:

I'm not a a registered scheme no, and what is the LABC route?

i had been told previous that i could sign off an electrical installation certificate as long as i was compentent in doing so and that itt was a plain certificate rather than a branded one? Is this true?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

if you have done a rewire you need to be either part P registered or notify your local authority building control as this work is now covered under building regs.

you should have notified your labc before starting the work

i would speak to them first thing monday morning to see what their process is in a case like this as they all differ ;)

Okay thanks for the advice, i will be sure to call them. :)

So what is stopping me just signing off the work and putting my signature on the EIC Certificate?

and what happens if i do?

the work wont be issued with a building compliance certificate and that could cause all sorts of problems for your customer :eek:

also worth noting that carrying out work that contravenes part p carries a fine of up to £5000 :eek:

i would have a read up on part P if you intend doing any more domestic work ;)

Last edited:
:) Thanks again.

If i sign off a certificate, fill it out etc and do all the testing. How will anyone know that im not part p or anything????

Im sure i know someone that signs off a blank certificate when he does testing and he isn't part p or registered he just does the work signs it off then thats it????

Basically my client owns the house, and he is paying a mortgage and he is hoping to rent it out.

if he intends to rent the house out then i would make sure you get all the paperwork right :p

if something was to go wrong you would be in the frame and as you are an electrician you should be well aware of what part P is and its implications :rolleyes:

as for your mate well he must be mad :eek:

Okay, so if i just sign the electrical installation certificate, providing nothing goes wrong i should be okay? :D
if you call breaking the law and leaving yourself open to a 5k fine okay then yes you should be fine :eek:

i would seriously look into what is expected of you if you continue doing domestic work as its only a matter of time before someone gets wind of it :rolleyes:

Thanks for your input. You sound a very wise electrician.

What exactly is expected of me if im doing domestic work i dont know what you mean?

What work can i carry out with my City and Guilds level 3 2330 certificate? What does that entitle me to do? If i got the 17th edition certificate would this change anything? :confused:

Please explain because i dont know what i'm allowed to do due to all these regulations, im competent in domestic, commercial and industrial electrics surely that is a positive ;)

first thing would be to get your 17th as that is the bare minimum requirement for an electrician and no competent persons scheme will accept you without it :p

2330 level 3 means you are an electrician but that can be interpreted many ways, especially if you dont have your 17th qualification. some feel you need nvq3 as well to be classed as an electrician but i dont have it and have no intention of doing it :p

anyone doing notifiable works in domestics needs to be registered on a competent persons scheme or put their work through their LABC as it now falls under building regs and your work wont comply without the correct building notice and as stated before you are leaving yourself open to a fine of up to 5k :eek:

you say you are competent in domestic, if that is true you should at least know what part P is all about as its been with us a few years now

it doesnt matter if youve been in the trade 50 years and are the most experienced spark ever, you still need to be registered or go LABC route.

i would suggest you google it and have a read up on what is required of you ;)

Last edited:

Reply to Electrical installation certificate in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock