Discuss Electrical Installation Condition Reports in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It will be a numbers game for landlords, Be it private or public sector as they will rush around to get them tested. Unfortunately alot of people's mentality would be....

Well it says satisfactory on the report and its not my name on it.

What they don't realise if a there is say a fire due to bad electrical work, There house could be going up in flames

What about a start/ finish time where the signatures are. To make it a bit harder for the 'fly-by' testers to do the £50 specials that aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

What about a start/ finish time where the signatures are. To make it a bit harder for the 'fly-by' testers to do the £50 specials that aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
My tame MOT tester has to put a start and finish time when he does a test, we end up drinking brews for 30 minutes waiting for the timer to finish...

A friend of mine used to work for a councils contractor doing EICR's. He was expected to do 5 a day including traveling time. His hands were tied, if he complained he'd be shown the door. He just did the very basic tests, ring continuity, couple of zs's, EFLI and RCD trips times. The rest was ITV testing (in the van), he eventually had enough and walked!

My old boss was the same with testing the new builds that were done poor Rod was had to do 4/5 a day "got no money in for testing". One of these may be a commercial EICR as I knew he was retiring I walked as it would have been left to me.

Hi this is the letter my friend was sent by the letting agency for his property.

Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government
3rd Floor, Fry Building, 2 Marsham Street, London SW1P 4DF

www.gov.uk/mhclg Our Ref:3862554 Date:8 August 2018

Thank you for your letter of 14 July to the Minister for Housing and Homelessness about electrical safety checks in the private rented sector. Your email has been passed to me for reply. Please accept my apologies for the delay in responding.

The Government are committed to ensuring that everyone has the opportunity to live in a home that is safe and decent. Existing legislation already requires landlords to keep electrical installations in their property in repair and proper working order, and it is currently best practice for landlords to organise periodic inspection and testing and to provide a report to the tenant.

The Government introduced an enabling power into the Housing and Planning Act 2016 to allow requirements for electrical safety checks in private rented properties - and their enforcement - to be set through secondary legislation at a later date.

The Department set up an Electrical Safety Standards working group to advise on what legislation might be necessary. The working group recommended introducing five yearly mandatory electrical installation checks for private rented property. Other recommendations were that there should be a set of safety measures encouraged as good practice and set out in Government guidance. They also recommended a ‘competent persons scheme’, whereby those carrying out the mandatory checks would need to be accredited.

The Department held a consultation from 17 February to 16 April 2018 to allow wider engagement with the sector to test the recommendations put forward by the working group.

On 19 July the Government announced that we will introduce a mandatory requirement on landlords in the private rented sector to ensure electrical installations in their property are inspected every five years. This will help drive up standards across the private rented sector and reduce deaths and injuries due to electric shocks and fires caused by electric faults.

A full Government response to the other working group recommendations and public consultation will be published in the autumn on www.gov.uk.

Yours sincerely Carl Hellicar

And I bet there will now be a fee to be part of the accreditated scheme.
But of course.
Problem here though, is that they can’t force people to join.
Just the same as with Part P and notification, they have to allow a mechanism whereby people not in a scheme can do the work.

And I bet there will now be a fee to be part of the accreditated scheme.
But of course.
Problem here though, is that they can’t force people to join.
Just the same as with Part P and notification, they have to allow a mechanism whereby people not in a scheme can do the work.
It seems that we are more and more having to pay out to work by stealth.

Maybe I'm simplifying it but seems like all of these issues would be resolved for electricians if a lot of our 'guidance' was made into law as with gas regulations? That way if we paid a few to one body we could do the work (in line with the law) and if someone wasn't part of the scheme they couldn't carry out electrical work..... (or was that the idea of Part P?! -in in Scotland btw)

Reply to Electrical Installation Condition Reports in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock