Discuss Electrical Jointing Course in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dean57331

Im currently working as a fully qualified electrician for a company in Wigan. I find this boring and monotonous and im thinking of a slight change.

Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on a cable jointing course in the northwest and how to get my foot in the door as ive heard its difficult to find a job once you've done your training

So you’re bored with general electrical work and you think cable jointing is going to be more exciting?

DemonStupid.jpg

So you’re bored with general electrical work and you think cable jointing is going to be more exciting?

The excitement will be actually getting a job.:willy_nilly:

Re O.P; the difficulty will be the same as any other training courses, you'll have the knowledge but NO experience.
Why would anyone want to employ you.

If you are Domestic and doing something like L.A / H.A rewires I could understand you may be bored.

If you're doing Commercial of any kind I fail to see why.

You need to change employers to one with more variety.

I think the issue is that Dean has been unable to turn each week of his short basic training into a £10,000 salary. 5 weeks, £50k year etc... He possibly thinks he can work in nuclear power stations and other exciting areas now that he has shelled out more in 5 weeks than he will ever get back in 5 years.

I don't get bored doing electrical work, every job is different, literally, no two jobs are the same.

I don't know, I may have it all wrong, I'm just thinking out loud...

I think you need to take a look at the cost of some of these cable jointing courses, because they don't come cheap from what i can remember. Far better to find a company that is recruting and is prepared to invest money in training it's cable jointer recruits. Mind, i don't know if such companies exist these day's, or if these companies are as rare as hens teeth outside of the electrical companies/DNO's etc??

DNO s now call their cable jointers "engineers", so you must be able to take HND or degree in cable jointing.

DNO s now call their cable jointers "engineers", so you must be able to take HND or degree in cable jointing.

Everyone that carries a tool box (and his dog) is called an engineer in the UK. You won't find that being the case in the rest of western Europe or across the pond in States and Canada!!

Just in case you don't know what the job involes- digging trenches in all conditions (sun, rain, cold and snow) to put two (or more) cables together.
That's it.
If it was excitement you wanted, you won't find it jointing. If jointing is your thing then good luck to you and I respect that -you won't find me in a trench when its pi$$ing it down playing with live cables!

Haha jesus there are some bitchy people on here, its like twitter lighten up. currently doing re wires and domestic electrics, PERSONALLY find it a bit boring.. sorry if that offends some of you.

I worked as a street lighting electrician for 3 years so im not bothered about working in bad conditions. Just wanted some advice as heard its not worth doing the course unless you have a job.

just asking, cheers

Haha jesus there are some bitchy people on here, its like twitter lighten up. currently doing re wires and domestic electrics, PERSONALLY find it a bit boring.. sorry if that offends some of you.

I worked as a street lighting electrician for 3 years so im not bothered about working in bad conditions. Just wanted some advice as heard its not worth doing the course unless you have a job.

just asking, cheers

I've got to agree with you to an extent.
I'd rather be working outdoors than doing domestics, even if the work is a bit tedious.

Its not that I hate my job, would just like to try and earn a bit more. got a family to support, nothing wrong with wanting to better ones self. just looking at different options that may or may not be available to me.

I trained as a MV jointer 30 years ago. The course was paid for by our company as we had an extensive 11 & 3.3KV network. It was also a part of becoming an AP.
It was another string to add to the bow, there’s no way I’d want do it full time.

If you’re serious then there only one route, get a job with a DNO as a trainee. The training is done in stages as for each type of joint you have to be passed as competent. It will take a good few years before you get to do an 11KV joint, you start on LV and work onwards.

Great on a nice day, murder when it’s cold and wet.
Sat in a field under brilliant sunshine and getting paid to sunbathe. Come to do the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] joint the next day and your mate is bailing the hole out and you’d pay someone to do the job.

If you’re a qualified electrician why do you want a semi-skilled job?

Tony's last sentence is the killer as far as I'm concerned mate, I can understand that you want to earn more to provide for your family but look up the ladder, not down.

I trained as a MV jointer 30 years ago. The course was paid for by our company as we had an extensive 11 & 3.3KV network. It was also a part of becoming an AP.
It was another string to add to the bow, there’s no way I’d want do it full time.

If you’re serious then there only one route, get a job with a DNO as a trainee. The training is done in stages as for each type of joint you have to be passed as competent. It will take a good few years before you get to do an 11KV joint, you start on LV and work onwards.

Great on a nice day, murder when it’s cold and wet.
Sat in a field under brilliant sunshine and getting paid to sunbathe. Come to do the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] joint the next day and your mate is bailing the hole out and you’d pay someone to do the job.

If you’re a qualified electrician why do you want a semi-skilled job?
there are only three jobs that require bailing.

sailor,plumber or jointer.

only two of them do it when they have f ed up.

the other it comes with the package

you missed out pilot, or is that baling ( as in bale out). also bailing as in paying bail to release from custody.

did my time in commercial installations (schools, hospitals, student accommodations, fire station, cinema etc..) and boy do I miss it! Now working on street lighting for job security but by and large I have to leave my brain at home.

It's a choice for me between a guaranteed wage with van pension and phone + holiday and sick pay versus the uncertainty of never knowing where the next contract is going to come from (or be as I have had to stay away from home all week for two years).

The only way I can cope is to throw all my energy and enterprise into my job to the best of my ability which puts me at odds with my colleagues at times as the general consensus there is, and I have it quoted at me several times a week "I don't give a ****".

Sorry lads, but......... I DO!

Reply to Electrical Jointing Course in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net