Discuss Electrical label question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a question regarding the below electrical label. Can you please let me know what the symbols circled in blue mean? Thank you in advance

Hmm i tried to paste the picture but was unable to , can someone please let me know how to paste a picture on here? I did copy paste and it didnt work.

The symbol is basically a small square inside a slightly bigger square. Next to it is the CE logo. I know what the CE logo means but i am not aware of the square symbol.
There is also another symbol which looks like a book which has been opened. Any idea guys? Wish i could post a picture!
Thanks.

One last question - I know that a house symbol means for indoor use only. Does the vendor need to test the product to en IEC standard to use the logo or can the symbol be put on the label solely based on the intended use of the product?

One last question - I know that a house symbol means for indoor use only. Does the vendor need to test the product to en IEC standard to use the logo or can the symbol be put on the label solely based on the intended use of the product?
I believe the latter. The description of the symbol is "For indoor use only. To identify electrical equipment designed primarily for indoor use". In your case the item is declared IPX4 which means withstands water splashes from any direction (10 litres/min at pressure for at leat 5 minutes), but that test presumably still didn't satisfy the designer/manufacturer that it could be used outside for its lifetime. So the house symbol is put on as an element of the risk management/ risk reduction process (I hope!).

In your case the item is declared IPX4 which means withstands water splashes from any direction (10 litres/min at pressure for at leat 5 minutes), but that test presumably still didn't satisfy the designer/manufacturer that it could be used outside for its lifetime. So the house symbol is put on as an element of the risk management/ risk reduction process (I hope!).
Meanwhile, so much stuff is sold as for outdoor use as IP44 is clearly sufficient - as a discussion with a well known electrical wholesaler is demonstrating. They are adamant that their festoon lighting is waterproof as the seals seal very well and it's IP44. While my experience of LED lamps full of water says otherwise.
I drill holes in all the lamps so that as they "breath" it doesn't suck water up past the seal - and then they are fine !

You need to remember that all this labelling... is 'theoretical'. There is little or no testing of imported goods to make sure that they comply with the symbols used.
You should also learn the difference between the two "CE" symbols... the original one means that the manufacturer has certified that all relevant European standards have been complied with. The other, very similar, but different CE symbol simply stands for Chinese Export.

In response to Zerax, this is my take on the 'Chinese Export' mark:

I got involved in CE marking products for Europe in the mid 80's. Back then it wasn't long before Chinese products destined for Europe began to display CE marks that appeared not backed up by proper testing and Technical Files. From the outset the CE artwork used on many of these Chinese products had the two characters spaced much too close together, and it became a popular joke that it stood for "Chinese Export" (which in many cases is just about all it meant). But the Chinese were applying it to mean European CE marking, not as a formal "made in China" symbol.
And over the years the idea that a CE mark with the letters close together actually meant "Chinese Export" gained traction as a thing.

For those interested, I offer this link:

Now Chinese industry has sorted out the CE graphic, and most (like the one in the OP's post) are the correct layout. So you can't really tell what a correctly printed CE mark actually means, unless there happens to be the details of an accredited Test Laboratory on the label as well (eg UL, TUV, BSI, Intertek etc etc). There are quite a number of accredited test houses in China, and it seems to me many products, such as for industrial use, medical devices, telecomms and IT products, do go through the correct testing, verification (and validation where necessary) processes In China.

But the retail market seems awash with 'fake' CE marks. Caveat Emptor and all that!

Reply to Electrical label question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock