Discuss Electrical maintenance trainee looking for some advice please in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

joeldrummer79

Hi all....

Apologies if this has been posted in the wrong area, please move if it is...

I am a 36year old maintenance technician in an automated warehouse who has been working for my company for 18 months. Prior to that I have no electrical experience. I have learned lots in my time here electrically. So far I have a BTEC Level 3 in mechanical and electrical engineering and I want to gain some more formal qualifications electrically, preferably an NVQ Level 3 (work based only)

I am looking for an NVQ or similar in electrical maintenance and not installation. (saying that would installation be helpful to a maintenance engineer?)

What sort of course would be best for me in your opinion? I believe City and Guilds will not allow me on any courses until I have completed this that and the other.....

What is the best work based course for me to start on bearing in mind I have completed BTEC level 3... (Levels 1 and 2 may possibly be too easy?) Ideally I would like to jump straight in at level 3... Any suggestions guys?

Thanks

apart from regs. updates, the last time i was in college was 1970,and the course codes were in roman numerals, so can't help i'm afraid.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Joel.

Have a word with your local college and see what options you have, you may also want to have a word with your employer and see if they will put you through the course. Good luck.

apart from regs. updates, the last time i was in college was 1970,and the course codes were in roman numerals, so can't help i'm afraid.

Thanks Paul, I have spoken to my employer and they will pay if I find a course. Level 3 Engineering maintenance (electrical) looks ideal but many colleges only do it as part of an apprenticeship which is no good for me.

Would the NVQ 2357 be suitable without doing the underpinning knowledge section?

Maintenance but I would probably learn more doing installation however it would be difficult to gather installation evidence where I work

The 2357 may be not for you and your goals. People on the tools installing all week long find it hard.

Your best advised by the industrial lads on this matter, they will pop along over the course of the day. Keep an eye out for their replies.

You may find that the NVQ from City and Guilds "Engineering Maintenance" 1788 may be the most appropriate route, this will involve class work as well as on the job assessment.
The design of this course has various routes within it to allow you to concentrate on the relevant areas for your job.
This link is to the qualification handbook for the level 3 1788 course and pages 11-14 describe the relevant pathways that you could take.
The possession to the BTEC level 3 may allow you to directly enroll on the NVQ3 if the college believes that the qualification provides enough experience to enable you to take this course.

You may find that the NVQ from City and Guilds "Engineering Maintenance" 1788 may be the most appropriate route, this will involve class work as well as on the job assessment.
The design of this course has various routes within it to allow you to concentrate on the relevant areas for your job.
This link is to the qualification handbook for the level 3 1788 course and pages 11-14 describe the relevant pathways that you could take.
The possession to the BTEC level 3 may allow you to directly enroll on the NVQ3 if the college believes that the qualification provides enough experience to enable you to take this course.

Hi Richard, thanks for this, I've looked into this course and it definitely looks the most appropriate... It seems quite difficult to find a college that provide it though, locally. I've heard that this course is being phased out pretty soon though, is this true?

Joel

City and guilds unfortunately constantly change courses so it is possible that this one will stop, however if you can get on a place to start the course you would be able to finish it, generally.
The likelihood is that another course would then be presented that fulfills similar requirements.
If this specific course is not available locally it may be worth considering other training assessment bodies such as EAL, ETCAL or EDEXEL who may also offer a similar course in your area.

You could wait a few more years and then you could go down the C&G 2356-99 electrical maintenance mature candidate assessment route. The BTEC qualification you have would be taken in to consideration as part of the underpinning knowledge. You have to of been in the game for 5 or more years to go down this route. In the next couple of years you could do your 17th edition 2382, AM2 as you would have to complete this as part of the 2356-99 and gather as much evidence as possible so when you do enrol you have most of your evidence already.

2356-99 NVQ 3 Mature Candidate Assessment - All Electrical Training Ltd

Last edited:

Reply to Electrical maintenance trainee looking for some advice please in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net