Discuss Electrical oven installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Have a read of this, re moulded plugs;

[automerge]1569835478[/automerge]
what it should say dont chop off the moulded plug .so ner.
[automerge]1569835202[/automerge]
kitchen fitter told the client he has to cut the moulded plug off a fridge freezer and told the client if there is problems he would sort it out . has you well know when a moulded plugs on the end of appliances it their for a reason .

Say what?

I don't see why some people think that moulded plugs are something special. They are used because it is a cheaper way of manufacturing as opposed to someone fitting a traditional type of 13A plug.

If you have a plug that is damaged, there is no issue in replacing it.

I think the key here is whether homeowners are sticking plugs on the end of things with the wrong wiring setup or wrong fuse etc.

And that's what the warranties will be there for. If the homeowner has screwed something by messing with it, it's going to void the warranty no matter whether it was the actual reason a fault occurred.

Whereas when YOU guys (the electricians) switch a plug around, it probably is due to a repair or whatever. So you're within warranty terms in most cases I'd assume.

That definition is what would be argued in court until the cows come home when a homeowner is trying to get a large firm to pay up for something that's broken.

We hope manufacturers honour their warranties when any fault comes about. But we know as consumers that not all do.

So both sides of the argument are right really.

I think each warranty would need studying before anybody could actually say what would class as a void of it. And we've not got a single one added to this here little thread on the web. :)

You will see in many appliance manuals instructions and diagrams for fitting a mains plug.

Also I think Midwest posted information/replies from several companies who he contacted some time ago regarding this issue. I'm sure a search will find the thread.

I was told that appliances that come with a BS standard 13a plug top attached then it should not be removed as it will invalidate any manufactures warranty

I most certainly don't want to be the fall guy for an invalidated warranty when X customers £400 oven goes wrong and the manufacture refuse to repair it because someone cut the plug top off...

I was told that appliances that come with a BS standard 13a plug top attached then it should not be removed as it will invalidate any manufactures warranty

I most certainly don't want to be the fall guy for an invalidated warranty when X customers £400 oven goes wrong and the manufacture refuse to repair it because someone cut the plug top off...

That’s a bit of a myth I’m afraid . If in doubt email the manufacturer. I found that most are not bothered. I did read somewhere , that moulded plugs are used to simplify the manufacturing processes and has nothing to do with safety.

That’s a bit of a myth I’m afraid . If in doubt email the manufacturer. I found that most are not bothered. I did read somewhere , that moulded plugs are used to simplify the manufacturing processes and has nothing to do with safety.

Absolutely. more words here and here

Essentially the safety aspect with a moulded plug is that it prevents an Ordinary Person from attempting to fit a wired plugtop and getting it wrong, be that be miswiring, not sufficiently tightening, leaving exposed or nicked inner cores, etc, etc.

Reply to Electrical oven installation in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock