Discuss Electrical science in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A 400v, 3 phase supply is connected to a heater. Calculate line and phase currents for a 3- phase load having resistive elements of 10 ohms when the elements are connected in
A. Star
B. Delta

Draw the two circuits, mark Vp, Ip, Vl and Il on the drawings. Vl is given. Determine Vp in terms of Vl, hence Ip, hence Il.

And maybe a hello, goodbye, thanks etc. rather than just pasting a question in and leaving it at that.

A 400v, 3 phase supply is connected to a heater. Calculate line and phase currents for a 3- phase load having resistive elements of 10 ohms when the elements are connected in
A. Star
B. Delta

They should have at least given you the formulas, whip out your scientific calculator.

In my college they supplied an electrical science PDF book on Moodle, which takes you through such things step by step.
[automerge]1581285945[/automerge]
this book is very helpful

Last edited:
Why would I thanks you when you have offered me no value Electricians are very emotional beings
you have had good advice. see posts #2 and #3. no use us doing it for you. if you can't be arsed to make an effort.....

you have had good advice. see posts #2 and #3. no use us doing it for you. if you can't be arsed to make an effort.....
I have thanked them I don't like the fact someone has offered nothing wants me to thank them no one owes anyone anything in life that goes for me aswell but I don't expect it cheers

I have answered it already I was just asking the forum as I only have formulas for star and not for delta just wanted to know are they worked out the same

VL= 400 VP= 400 square foot 3 =230

IL 230/10 =23 IP =IL =23

DELTA
IP =VP/R = 400/10 = 40A
IL = 40A × square foot 3 = 69.28 A n

Not sure if correct though

star 23A
delta 69.3A (I Line)
delta 40A (I phase)

I agree.

worth noting that I Line and I phase are the same for the star configuration because the sum off currents at the star point is zero.

star 23A
delta 69.3A (I Line)
delta 40A (I phase)

I agree.

worth noting that I Line and I phase are the same for the star configuration because the sum off currents at the star point is zero.
I have an exam this week just wanted to clarify this thanks mate
[automerge]1581361528[/automerge]
If this was to calculate line and phase voltage with out the 10 ohms
Star
VL =400v
VP = 400 square foot =230

Not sure about delta line and phase voltage

best of luck in your exam.

p.s. don't take what is said above to heart.

we have all been through what you are doing now, most of us before the internet was available in peoples own homes!!

there are many lazy chancers that think the forum will do there homework for them,
the answer is normally similar to the response you got.

any further assistance, if you start by detailing what you know and how you think it should be done, preferably with some sort of, I tried this and got this answer but I am not sure.

there are lots of members that will bend over backwards to help you.
[automerge]1581362002[/automerge]

we have all been through what you are doing now, most of us before the internet was available in peoples own homes!!

there are many lazy chancers that think the forum will do there homework for them,

any further assistance, if you start by detailing what you know and how you think it should be done, preferably with some sort of, I tried this and got this answer but I am not sure.

if you draw it out, you get phase to phase voltage (400v) across each winding in delta.
therefore the line voltage is the same as the phase voltage.

the reason you have higher current is that there are parallel paths for the current to flow.

Last edited:

Appreciate the kind words mate as long as there not bending over forwards I'll be glad for the help lol but all seriousness that's good to hear

there is a section of the forum that is only available to trainees and mentors.
if you apply to join it, you will be given better advice because you get a trainee tag.

it is also a good place to ask questions because you will not be judged against time served sparks who have had a bad day!!

there is a section of the forum that is only available to trainees and mentors.
if you apply to join it, you will be given better advice because you get a trainee tag.

it is also a good place to ask questions because you will not be judged against time served sparks who have had a bad day!!
I'll do that thanks for the help

Star
VL =400v

Eh?

Star
VL =400v

Eh? , , ,

Eh?

Eh? , , ,

replace the word foot with root and it will be apparent, the intention i am sure is to say square root of 3. auto correct is my guess!!

Last edited:

Reply to Electrical science in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net