Discuss Electrical shock from extractor hood in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

CTID71

DIY
Reaction score
DIYer here. Just purchased extractor to fit into chimney. Have fitted fused spur to downstairs ring main. Tried to test extractor by applying plug before fitting to fused socket. Worst thing I have ever done. Got a really bad shock while holding extractor. Have applied plug to extractor previously and never experienced anything like this. Can anybody assist me. Thanks in advance

Some pictures might help.
Thank you for replying. Instructions say Warning! This appliance must be earthed - think I have messed up here, item bought online - clearly Chinese import via Co based on Nottingham. Don't usually buy electrical appliances online and was hesitant. Feel I may need to Earth appliance but don't know enough abbot how to go about this.

Attachments

• 1613214375058587283485423761689.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 16132144182574164421604668620919.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 16132144650419088389760296934109.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 79
You wired the plug incorrectly?
OMG. I think you have just answered the problem. Having thought about it. I think I connect the earth under the fuse. Not sure why. Socket I plugged into, tested and correct, Fuse box RCD protected. I want to try again with it on the floor and test to see if live when connected. Is this how you would go about it? Thank you for everything. First tinge I have posted on this site. I don't mind paying to get trades out but felt I could tackle this. Main issue being getting the cann thing fitted into chimney.

Picture of the inside of the 13amp plug showing how you connected it??
Can only remember from memory and talking to my daughter I may have connected earth beneath fuse in L spot. Would this have done it? Disconnected yesterday thinking lucky to be alive. Well actually not with the problems I am trying to plough through...Really appreciate you're reply and those of others. I am really grateful and this is a lesson learnt

He is in Lancashire, doesn't say what part of Lancashire though so he may not be too far from me if it is South Lancashire
To far for me what ever part of Lancs' the poster is from, sorry to say.

Brown is live!
Blue is neutral,
Earth is green and yellow
Congratulations @littlespark
you have just passed your online stage 1 exam from JSP school of training.
certificate is in the post.

Please send promptly your payment for module 2 (£1000)
course content,
  • screwdrivers, correct selection
  • advanced screwdrivers, identification of handle and driver tip
  • cutters, knifes and strippers, what they are and how to use them
  • advanced cutting, how to open a box, how to remove the cable tie on your new cutters.
  • FREE BONUS MODULE
  • Strippers, what should they cost?, how to operate, correct PPE, ergonomics and the correct way to hold your tool.??
P.s. If you have not become a qualified electrician after completing the first 50 modules in the course, i will discount the remaining 50 modules by 50%

Last edited:

Reply to Electrical shock from extractor hood in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net